Moving to Texas - No Texas Bar Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving to Texas - No Texas Bar

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm a 4th year associate at a v50 firm and I'm wanting to make a move to Texas. I haven't passed the bar exam, so I'm wondering how hard such a move would be. I'm general litigation right now, so I'd love to hear from any lit folks who've managed to make a move from one major market to Texas without having first passed the Texas bar.

If you've done it, what year were you when you made the move? Did they require you to take the bar or did they let you just wait to waive in? What was the timeframe from offer to when you first started at the firm? If you had to take the bar, did they give you paid time off to study or did you fit studying in while still working full-time? Why did you move? Are you happy you did?

Tell me all the things! Thanks! :)

Anonymous User

Re: Moving to Texas - No Texas Bar

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 pm

A close friend of mine did the move. Firm policies differ, but the firm my friend went to required him to take the bar immediately (the next bar). He was a 4th year as well, so couldn’t waive in. He wasn’t a litigation associate, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A close friend of mine did the move. Firm policies differ, but the firm my friend went to required him to take the bar immediately (the next bar). He was a 4th year as well, so couldn’t waive in. He wasn’t a litigation associate, though.
It just seems like such a waste of time (even moreso for a transactions associate). If I take the February bar, the results won't be available until May. At that point, I'm 6 months from being able to waive in. I don't mind all that much but I am concerned that not being admitted to the Texas bar will be a huge hurdle.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 pm

If you work in federal court or other federal practice in Texas, you can work 5 years and waive in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A close friend of mine did the move. Firm policies differ, but the firm my friend went to required him to take the bar immediately (the next bar). He was a 4th year as well, so couldn’t waive in. He wasn’t a litigation associate, though.
It just seems like such a waste of time (even moreso for a transactions associate). If I take the February bar, the results won't be available until May. At that point, I'm 6 months from being able to waive in. I don't mind all that much but I am concerned that not being admitted to the Texas bar will be a huge hurdle. I
I agree that it’s dumb. But some firms have firm policies where attorneys have to be members of the bars in the state in which they practice.

Let’s say you applied now. By the time you have an offer in hand and all the logistics figured out, it may be too late to sit for February. And maybe you can convince your firm to let you just waive in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”