Please, I need advice... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Please, I need advice...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:12 pm

I finished 1L with a 3.08 GPA at a T30 (BC/Fordham). Big law is out, I know. I am now more concerned with just securing legal employment for next summer and after graduation. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of the best way to use this summer to achieve that. My school is gearing up for OCI and I don’t know what I should be doing. I am only targeting the local legal market my school feeds into and willing to be flexible in my interests.

What are my prospects? I haven’t taken out any loans and will likely graduate debt-free, but if my chances of landing a decent legal job are low then I will consider dropping out.

Thank you

sflyr2016

Bronze

Re: Please, I need advice...

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Whether you practice later or not, a free law degree from Fordham/BC ain’t bad. And if you up your grades over the next two years, you’ll be able to land something decent. Put in the work and you’ll be fine.

Quit bitching. Don’t quit on something so easily, especially when it’s being gifted to you for free.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:23 pm

I had a 3.1 my 1L year at BC and was still able to land a biglaw job. It’s not out of the question. Just hustle.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:Whether you practice later or not, a free law degree from Fordham/BC ain’t bad. And if you up your grades over the next two years, you’ll be able to land something decent. Put in the work and you’ll be fine.

Quit bitching. Don’t quit on something so easily, especially when it’s being gifted to you for free.
just because he’s graduating debt free doesn’t mean the degree was free...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a 3.1 my 1L year at BC and was still able to land a biglaw job. It’s not out of the question. Just hustle.
Did you land a biglaw SA gig, or did you get it as a 3L?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Okay smart guy. Why don’t you value his debt-free law degree by calculating whatever BC grads makes leaving LS, factor in what his earning potential would be with that degree for the rest of his life, and then compare that to wasting more time pursuing another degree or working another job that has less upside. So, perhaps you’re right: It’s probably not free. It’s probably better than that. Whoever is picking up the tab on his degree is essentially paying him to get a 6-figure income for the rest of his life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a 3.1 my 1L year at BC and was still able to land a biglaw job. It’s not out of the question. Just hustle.
Did you land a biglaw SA gig, or did you get it as a 3L?
SA. I used my connections (college friends’ parents who were partners at firms, neighbors, etc.) to land my SA position.

I had 5 screeners at OCI too, and I got 2 callbacks. I got an offer from one of the firms but decided to go to a firm I got an offer from through a connection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I finished 1L with a 3.08 GPA at a T30 (BC/Fordham). Big law is out, I know. I am now more concerned with just securing legal employment for next summer and after graduation. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of the best way to use this summer to achieve that. My school is gearing up for OCI and I don’t know what I should be doing. I am only targeting the local legal market my school feeds into and willing to be flexible in my interests.

What are my prospects? I haven’t taken out any loans and will likely graduate debt-free, but if my chances of landing a decent legal job are low then I will consider dropping out.

Thank you
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:25 am

sflyr2016 wrote:Okay smart guy. Why don’t you value his debt-free law degree by calculating whatever BC grads makes leaving LS, factor in what his earning potential would be with that degree for the rest of his life, and then compare that to wasting more time pursuing another degree or working another job that has less upside. So, perhaps you’re right: It’s probably not free. It’s probably better than that. Whoever is picking up the tab on his degree is essentially paying him to get a 6-figure income for the rest of his life.
You’re not serious with this? OP is worried about getting a job. OP should at hustle to get a job before he quits, i agree.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TUwave

New

Post by TUwave » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:41 pm

Keep grinding. It’s definitely possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I finished 1L with a 3.08 GPA at a T30 (BC/Fordham). Big law is out, I know. I am now more concerned with just securing legal employment for next summer and after graduation. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of the best way to use this summer to achieve that. My school is gearing up for OCI and I don’t know what I should be doing. I am only targeting the local legal market my school feeds into and willing to be flexible in my interests.

Thank you
Debt free is key.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”