NYC Firms with Not Strict GPA/Rank Cut-offs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Firms with Not Strict GPA/Rank Cut-offs

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm a rising 2L at BC/Fordham/GW just outside the top 1/3. I am trying out for a competition team and will likely make some sort of secondary journal at my school.

Currently, I am trying to figure out my bid list, and I would appreciate any insight into: (1) which firms are more lenient about their GPA/rank cut-offs once you have a screener?; and, (2) how much my improvement will be noticed/considered to receive an OCI/EIW screener in the first place?

Also, this may not be relevant, but I have been going to a fair amount of networking events.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: NYC Firms with Not Strict GPA/Rank Cut-offs

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:18 pm

If you wait for OCI, you are doomed. You need to be mass mailing every NYC firm, DC firm, and every other market you have even minimal contacts with. Top 1/3rd at those schools is no guarantee of biglaw. You need to hustle and mail immediately.

Edit: But to answer your question, the firms with the largest classes. Get a list from your career services of the firms and their summer class sizes. The NYC firms with 100+ summers are your best bet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:If you wait for OCI, you are doomed. You need to be mass mailing every NYC firm, DC firm, and every other market you have even minimal contacts with. Top 1/3rd at those schools is no guarantee of biglaw. You need to hustle and mail immediately.
Totally agree. I'm planning on sending out mass-mails this week. I am going to hit firms not coming to OCI and contact recruiters at firms which I have attended events. Question -- if the firm is coming to my school's OCI, how should I ask for a pre-OCI interview? Thank you.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:If you wait for OCI, you are doomed. You need to be mass mailing every NYC firm, DC firm, and every other market you have even minimal contacts with. Top 1/3rd at those schools is no guarantee of biglaw. You need to hustle and mail immediately.
Totally agree. I'm planning on sending out mass-mails this week. I am going to hit firms not coming to OCI and contact recruiters at firms which I have attended events. Question -- if the firm is coming to my school's OCI, how should I ask for a pre-OCI interview? Thank you.
Just mass mail them. Dont say anything about them coming to OCI. In my experience, two things will happen. Either they like you and set up an interview, or they will just say we look forward to seeing you at OCI. Mass mail every firm, not just the firms not coming to OCI. There is this fear it will hurt you. It will not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:39 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just mass mail them. Dont say anything about them coming to OCI. In my experience, two things will happen. Either they like you and set up an interview, or they will just say we look forward to seeing you at OCI. Mass mail every firm, not just the firms not coming to OCI. There is this fear it will hurt you. It will not.
Awesome, thank you so much! Also, for mass mailing is it just an email to a recruiter or would you recommend CC'ing an associate or partner that I've met at an event and/or an alum of my school? Should I also apply through the portal on the firm's website in tandem to mass mailing?

Do you have any advice on bidding with regard to firms that are more lenient GPA/rank-wise?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Awesome, thank you so much! Also, for mass mailing is it just an email to a recruiter or would you recommend CC'ing an associate or partner that I've met at an event and/or an alum of my school? Should I also apply through the portal on the firm's website in tandem to mass mailing?

Do you have any advice on bidding with regard to firms that are more lenient GPA/rank-wise?
Step 1-If you have a contact with a person at the firm, talk to them. Get them on the phone or coffee. Network with them. Ask questions about the summer program. Usually they will get the hint and if they like you, they will push your app. That is by and far the best possible outcome. When I did this a few years ago, I had over 50 calls/coffees with partners/associates at firms in June. Almost half pushed my app internally. Dont be pushy, just ask questions about their firm and their summer program.

Step 2- Alongside this, send the app to whatever the contact is listed on NALP. But just CCing a partner to a recruiting contact is kinda weird. Use step 1 instead.

As for portals, I do not know as this was a few years ago so I cant really help there. I remember Skadden had a portal but idk who else. Just do whatever the response is from the nalp recruiting contact.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

About you cc'ing or direct emailing associates or partners you've met at the firm--my perspective is that this is a HUGE no no unless you've met them for coffee and/or they've specifically said something along the lines of "Hey, reach out to me and send me your resume and I'll forward it along." If you put yourself in their shoes, especially a busy partner's, how weird is it to get cc'ed on an email to the recruiting team by someone you don't know/remember and feel like you've been looped in to speak on their behalf?

My understanding from speaking to recruiters on a personal level and from people who work closely w/recruiting staff is that website portals are black holes where there are SO many applications to wade through, it's not that helpful to just apply through the portal--best to do both email and portal. However, maybe as a minority voice, I don't think mass mailings are any more effective--it's just one more e'mail for the firm to send a generic "thank you for your interest, we will consider all applications yada yada" and stick said application in the same pile as the portal applications. I am much more the advocate of sending targeted emails to firms by having met associates/partners/recruiters via networking events or coffee who then say "Hey, send me your resume" or "be sure to let me know when you apply."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Totally makes sense regarding the CC aspect. When mass mailing do you suggest attaching a cover letter or having a short-form cover letter in the body of the email or both? Thank you for your responses so far!!

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Totally makes sense regarding the CC aspect. When mass mailing do you suggest attaching a cover letter or having a short-form cover letter in the body of the email or both? Thank you for your responses so far!!
Generally, I think it's always better to have a cover letter to accompany your resume--it shows you at least put some effort into this e-mail and therefore you may have more interest than the next schmo who just blasts their resume with now cover letter.

My suggestion would be to attach a full cover letter, then do a very brief, short-form/pithy e-mail body statement of your interest, year in school, school, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:49 pm

JHP wrote: Generally, I think it's always better to have a cover letter to accompany your resume--it shows you at least put some effort into this e-mail and therefore you may have more interest than the next schmo who just blasts their resume with now cover letter.

My suggestion would be to attach a full cover letter, then do a very brief, short-form/pithy e-mail body statement of your interest, year in school, school, etc.
Great, thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”