2nd Year with massive burnout. Please help. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2nd Year with massive burnout. Please help.

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:05 am

Second corporate year associate in a major market. The title says it all: I am massively burned out; I already suffer from anxiety and depression but in the past few months it has been amplified to a degree that I cannot describe, due to billing 60 hours/week or more and making small mistakes that I beat myself up for to a degree that makes me completely unable to get anything done. I will say that I absolutely love the content of what I do and the people in my group are truly lovely, partners included, but lately the volume and constant pressure that I put on myself has become completely unmanageable.

My question is: What are my options for exiting as a second year? I would ideally like something that doesn’t cause me to suffer a massive pay cut, but I would easily take 30-40K less per year in exchange for a manageable life.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Re: 2nd Year with massive burnout. Please help.

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Second corporate year associate in a major market. The title says it all: I am massively burned out; I already suffer from anxiety and depression but in the past few months it has been amplified to a degree that I cannot describe, due to billing 60 hours/week or more and making small mistakes that I beat myself up for to a degree that makes me completely unable to get anything done. I will say that I absolutely love the content of what I do and the people in my group are truly lovely, partners included, but lately the volume and constant pressure that I put on myself has become completely unmanageable.

My question is: What are my options for exiting as a second year? I would ideally like something that doesn’t cause me to suffer a massive pay cut, but I would easily take 30-40K less per year in exchange for a manageable life.
Have you taken a vacation? Take a vacation. A week minimum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 am

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Second corporate year associate in a major market. The title says it all: I am massively burned out; I already suffer from anxiety and depression but in the past few months it has been amplified to a degree that I cannot describe, due to billing 60 hours/week or more and making small mistakes that I beat myself up for to a degree that makes me completely unable to get anything done. I will say that I absolutely love the content of what I do and the people in my group are truly lovely, partners included, but lately the volume and constant pressure that I put on myself has become completely unmanageable.

No vacation yet. I’m concerned that I’ve let myself get too far down the burnout hole and made one too many small mistakes, and then I’ve got it in my head that they’ll can me if I take time off.

I don’t know any more what is considered a normal mistake that I should let go of, and what is actually sloppy and incompetent.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:

No vacation yet. I’m concerned that I’ve let myself get too far down the burnout hole and made one too many small mistakes, and then I’ve got it in my head that they’ll can me if I take time off.

I don’t know any more what is considered a normal mistake that I should let go of, and what is actually sloppy and incompetent.
You're likely just in your own head right now. Definitely take a vacation. If you don't have working when you come back then you can start looking. Either you take a vacation and leave, but maybe things get better; or you don't take a vacation and leave. Why not take one, then reevaluate things?

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:38 pm

If you are billing 60+ hours a week it is unlikely your work quality is especially poor. People will stop feeding you work if you are producing stuff that isn't helpful to them (or maybe your firm is just so busy there's no alternative). Based on your referencing anxiety and depression, I suspect you are building up in your own head errors that are barely registering with the people you are working with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Are you getting work consistently from the same people? If so, your work quality is probably fine in terms of quality. I'd see if you can break away in July or August (assuming you get vacation, take the full 2 weeks and go somewhere where you'll be completely unavailable) and see how you feel when you come back.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Have you seen s doctor for a mental health checkup? You should.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 pm

I don't get it. Are you constantly terrified of getting fired for screwing up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Wild Card wrote:I don't get it. Are you constantly terrified of getting fired for screwing up?
OP here. Very much so. I live in fear of missing something, making small errors, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clytemnestra3

New

Post by Clytemnestra3 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:32 am

I understand the urge to avoid mistakes, but you can't beat yourself up over them. I'm a senior associate at a top firm and made so many little mistakes both as a junior and in my current position. Put in a strong effort, triple-check your work, acknowledge mistakes when they happen and move on.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Clytemnestra3 wrote:I understand the urge to avoid mistakes, but you can't beat yourself up over them. I'm a senior associate at a top firm and made so many little mistakes both as a junior and in my current position. Put in a strong effort, triple-check your work, acknowledge mistakes when they happen and move on.
And take a day or two off for mental health reasons.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Clytemnestra3 wrote:I understand the urge to avoid mistakes, but you can't beat yourself up over them. I'm a senior associate at a top firm and made so many little mistakes both as a junior and in my current position. Put in a strong effort, triple-check your work, acknowledge mistakes when they happen and move on.
And take a day or two off for mental health reasons.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”