Best plaintiffs’ firms that take summer associates? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best plaintiffs’ firms that take summer associates?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Rising 2L here exploring non-biglaw options. I’m interested in plaintiffs’ firms in the mountain west states and Texas, particularly those that will hire associates without prior clerkship or biglaw experience.

If it’s relevant, my credentials are solidly in the biglaw range (T20 top quarter).

Anonymous User

Re: Best plaintiffs’ firms that take summer associates?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Schlichter Bogard in STL takes summers and hires at least some of them. I don't know what you mean by 'best' but they seem solid.

yankees12345!

New

Post by yankees12345! » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:44 pm

The top Texas plaintiffs firms don't have established summer associate programs, but will sometimes take summer associates.

Some of the top firms would include Watts & Guerra; Whitehurst Harkness; Baron & Budd; Waters, Kraus & Paul. Would be interested to hear which firms other people think are in the top band.

It seems like landing a summer position at any of these places takes either personal connections or lots of affirmative outreach and a dose of luck. Meeting with career services early on in law school, following up, and making them help you can pay off, too.

You can also become a student member of TTLA and go to their events. That's a good way to meet attorneys at the smaller shops, but the biggest players don't seem to come through as casually.

Wish I had more concrete advice, good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:57 pm

yankees12345! wrote:The top Texas plaintiffs firms don't have established summer associate programs, but will sometimes take summer associates.

Some of the top firms would include Watts & Guerra; Whitehurst Harkness; Baron & Budd; Waters, Kraus & Paul. Would be interested to hear which firms other people think are in the top band.

It seems like landing a summer position at any of these places takes either personal connections or lots of affirmative outreach and a dose of luck. Meeting with career services early on in law school, following up, and making them help you can pay off, too.

You can also become a student member of TTLA and go to their events. That's a good way to meet attorneys at the smaller shops, but the biggest players don't seem to come through as casually.

Wish I had more concrete advice, good luck.
OP here, thanks for the good info. I’m familiar with Baron & Budd but not the others, so I’m definitely going to look into them and see if I can find any other peer firms. Do you have any personal experience working with the plaintiffs bar?
Anonymous User wrote:Schlichter Bogard in STL takes summers and hires at least some of them. I don't know what you mean by 'best' but they seem solid.
By “best” I just mean reputable firms with a proven record of success. Schilchter Bogard looks like it fits that description, thanks.

yankees12345!

New

Post by yankees12345! » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Do you have any personal experience working with the plaintiffs bar?
A little bit. Feel free to DM me, OP, and would be happy to share my limited experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”