Duke OCI 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Duke OCI 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:after following this thread for a while, I'm just glad I don't go to Duke
We're all glad you didn't get into Duke too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really excited- got my Wachtell offer and my American citizenship in the same afternoon.
Just stop w/ the jokes whomever you are!!! Im sitting here with 0 callbacks, mass mailing any firm that will take a 3.18 (f%#& you Purdy and Coleman). Ill probs have to do OCI segment II and redo OCI as a 3L which Im sooooo stoked about.
Which Coleman?
I had both. Coleman is easy. Colewoman is hell.
I agree in class, but I got a higher grade from Colewoman than Coleman.

ETA: I thought Colewoman did a better job at keeping class lively, if terrifying, than Coleman.
I truly don’t understand why people didn’t like Colewoman... that was probably the most straightforward law school class I had

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really excited- got my Wachtell offer and my American citizenship in the same afternoon.
Just stop w/ the jokes whomever you are!!! Im sitting here with 0 callbacks, mass mailing any firm that will take a 3.18 (f%#& you Purdy and Coleman). Ill probs have to do OCI segment II and redo OCI as a 3L which Im sooooo stoked about.
Ugh maybe you should’ve studied harder or been born smarter?
If you have a 3.18 you probably tanked in other classes too. What’s the point of blaming professors.
not OP but what is the point of this post. just stfu you insufferable prick.
Also not OP but idk why you chose to use a gendered insult :/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:after following this thread for a while, I'm just glad I don't go to Duke
I'm at HYS. Have a wonderful day : )

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm at HYS. Have a wonderful day : )
Welcome to our thread! How can we help?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:34 pm

I can assure you this is mostly because TLS attracts the worst personalities. Duke is a lot better than HYSCCN, culturally speaking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Which Coleman?

ETA: I thought Colewoman did a better job at keeping class lively, if terrifying, than Coleman.
in what way can Coleman make 8:00am classes mornelively though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Which Coleman?

I truly don’t understand why people didn’t like Colewoman... that was probably the most straightforward law school class I had
That’s because tort doctrines are straightforward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:40 pm

while this Coleman vs. Coleman convo is very interesting, the rest of us would like to stick to talking about CBs, offers, and dings. thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:while this Coleman vs. Coleman convo is very interesting, the rest of us would like to stick to talking about CBs, offers, and dings. thank you!
This whole argument started because one of our classmates wanted to share how happy he/she/xey were to receive his/her/xeir American citizenship and Wachtell offer on the same day

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I can assure you this is mostly because TLS attracts the worst personalities. Duke is a lot better than HYSCCN, culturally speaking.
Yeah culturally speaking morgan fking lewis is a lot better than Cravath. I wonder how many people would turn down Cravath for ML.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:11 am

The arguments in this thread are to me uncharacteristic of the Duke experience. But maybe I’m naive and don’t know enough people. Anonymity brings out the worst in people who either need to vent or are malicious behind closed doors. I don’t think any law school is going to be particularly better or worse than the other in this regard. People are people.

To stay on topic: have had DC callbacks with lower-ranked but still great firms and have not yet heard anything. I suspect Friday or maybe a few weeks even.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Offer for Winston & Strawn CLT.

Callbacks for Smith Anderson, McGuireWoods, Alston & Bird CLT, Womble.

Ding from Moore & Van Allen.

Silence from Parker Poe, Brooks Pierce, and Robinson Bradshaw.
OP update: Parker Poe and Robinson Bradshaw callback. Brooks Pierce handed out offers to previous summers so that may mean movement from them soon too.

Also haven’t heard anything from Smith, Moore, Leatherwood but cannot bring myself to be concerned about that at this point. Lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah culturally speaking morgan fking lewis is a lot better than Cravath. I wonder how many people would turn down Cravath for ML.
I didn’t even imply anything like that....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:32 am

2 NYC offers, silence from DC, still have a few CBs left to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:The arguments in this thread are to me uncharacteristic of the Duke experience. But maybe I’m naive and don’t know enough people. Anonymity brings out the worst in people who either need to vent or are malicious behind closed doors. I don’t think any law school is going to be particularly better or worse than the other in this regard. People are people.

To stay on topic: have had DC callbacks with lower-ranked but still great firms and have not yet heard anything. I suspect Friday or maybe a few weeks even.
First anon here. Anonymity brings out the worst in us, and OCI can be stressful. I get it. But I don't necessarily agree that others are similar. The level of arrogance (and the fact that people responds to hostility with hostility) in this thread is peerless. I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be a small group of people, but alarming still. Anyway good luck with OCI folks. I'll stop being a nuisance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am

A&B and Eversheds Atlanta dings via snail mail after OCI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm

A word of advice from an experienced professional: do NOT put incoming associate position on linkedin. It is the single most stupid and styleless thing you can do with your linkedin profile.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:55 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:.
What's wrong with that? Genuinely wondering.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A word of advice from an experienced professional: do NOT put incoming associate position on linkedin. It is the single most stupid and styleless thing you can do with your linkedin profile.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A word of advice from an experienced professional: do NOT put incoming associate position on linkedin. It is the single most stupid and styleless thing you can do with your linkedin profile.
Ya, unless you're going to some elite firm like Latham (DC), NOBODY CARES!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
An incoming position on linkedin is not gonna bring you any networking opportunities or headhunters attention. It only implies that you lack etiquette.
Read the posts on Wall Street Oasis about “incoming investment banking summer analyst” and you will get a pretty good sense of what your future clients think of your incoming position on linkedin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:26 am

yeah I agree it’s a weird thing to do and will get you laughed at by many

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
An incoming position on linkedin is not gonna bring you any networking opportunities or headhunters attention. It only implies that you lack etiquette.
Read the posts on Wall Street Oasis about “incoming investment banking summer analyst” and you will get a pretty good sense of what your future clients think of your incoming position on linkedin.
+1 for the WallStreetOasis reference. Although swear to god, half of our summer analysts did it anyway, we'd always make fun of 'em the first day. Probably the only forum more toxic than TLS fwiw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”