My supervising Partner told me I suck Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Raiden

Bronze

My supervising Partner told me I suck

Post by Raiden » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:05 pm

I work at a tightly knit 30 some Lawyer Law Firm. We have a ton of work and this is my first year at the firm. I am doing litigation, and I really don't have any guidance because my supervising partner is always so busy. Recently, he told me that he thinks I don't care about the client and that I essentially suck as a lawyer. This really has me down. I am trying my best but it doesn't seem to be enough. I just don't really know what to do, but then I feel bad that I think I need hand holding when I should be able to figure it out.

I've been pretty stressed that I missed a court hearing, and I have felt so bad about it. My supervising partner has told me that doing something like that is what other partners will find out about, and they all will write me off. Interestingly, my partner has told me that even though I have been sub par I shouldn't expect to be fired because the firm doesn't fire people unless, but instead no one would give me any work. I think I just have been spiraling downward. Instead of thinking I can do it, I feel like I have been thinking that my work is going to suck and this has created a vicious cycle where my work does suck. I don't know. Maybe I just need some guidance from the more seasoned associates here.

lawposeidon

New

Re: My supervising Partner told me I suck

Post by lawposeidon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:08 pm

I work at a class action plaintiff's firm and this happened to me too. Don't take it personally, try harder and do your best. It's prolly just a mind game to get you to work harder.

alphagamma

Bronze

Post by alphagamma » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Raiden wrote:I work at a tightly knit 30 some lawyer law firm. We have a ton of work and this is my first year at the firm. I am doing litigation, and I really don't have any guidance because my supervising partner is always so busy. Recently, he told me that he thinks I don't care about the client and that I essentially suck as a lawyer. This really has me down. I am trying my best but it doesn't seem to be enough. I just don't really know what to do, but then I feel bad that I think I need hand holding when I should be able to figure it out.

I've been pretty stressed that I missed a court hearing, and I have felt so bad about it. My supervising partner has told me that doing something like that is what other partners will find out about, and they all will write me off. Interestingly, my partner has told me that even though I have been sub par I shouldn't expect to be fired because the firm doesn't fire people unless, but instead no one would give me any work. I think I just have been spiraling downward. Instead of thinking I can do it, I feel like I have been thinking that my work is going to suck and this has created a vicious cycle where my work does suck. I don't know. Maybe I just need some guidance from the more seasoned associates here.
Ask the partner (and others) what you can do to improve. Seek constructive feedback constantly and use it to focus on building your skills as a lawyer.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm sorry, but you missed a hearing? I'm still a junior associate myself at a similar sized firm and i'll say that I struggle with things too. However, hearings/deadlines etc. are completely within your control and shouldn't be missed as a younger associate. So, my advice is whatever led to that is what you need to fix first so that it doesn't happen again. My other bit of advice for you (as well as myself) is take the time to make sure everything you turn in is first rate. I'm still struggling with this. Lastly, just have a short memory and remember that this is all about what have you done for me lately - if you do a good job for a partner, they'll forget about the past shortcomings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:33 pm

I’d start preparing the resume and a story about why you want to leave. Like start tomorrow. The partner has basically said he’s going to nuke your reputation and you’ll be pushed out. Try your best while you’re still at the firm, and maybe by some miracle you’ll stick around, but it’s hard to see a happy ending here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’d start preparing the resume and a story about why you want to leave. Like start tomorrow. The partner has basically said he’s going to nuke your reputation and you’ll be pushed out. Try your best while you’re still at the firm, and maybe by some miracle you’ll stick around, but it’s hard to see a happy ending here.
We have a love-hate relationship. He wants to see me succeed. But he is just warning me that if my work continues to suck, other partners wouldn't work with me, and I only would be getting work from him.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Raiden wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’d start preparing the resume and a story about why you want to leave. Like start tomorrow. The partner has basically said he’s going to nuke your reputation and you’ll be pushed out. Try your best while you’re still at the firm, and maybe by some miracle you’ll stick around, but it’s hard to see a happy ending here.
We have a love-hate relationship. He wants to see me succeed. But he is just warning me that if my work continues to suck, other partners wouldn't work with me, and I only would be getting work from him.
Don’t be naive. He doesn’t want you to leave because it’s a pain to hire someone new. He’ll drop you in a heartbeat if he finds someone better.

Sorry, accidental anon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm

lawposeidon wrote:I work at a class action plaintiff's firm and this happened to me too. Don't take it personally, try harder and do your best. It's prolly just a mind game to get you to work harder.
However, maybe you should've taken it personally?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 pm

You should lateral. You may or may not get pushed out/fired. However, to a large degree, your reputation is likely shot at this place. And if you do get fired, you will be in big trouble. The safest course is to lateral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Raiden wrote: I've been pretty stressed that I missed a court hearing, and I have felt so bad about it. My supervising partner has told me that doing something like that is what other partners will find out about, and they all will write me off.
Holy shit, in my state that's malpractice-level bad. I agree with the above posters that you should consider lateraling ASAP, because it would be really hard to recover from something like that at the firm you are at - especially at midsize/smaller firms, word travels pretty quick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:53 am

I was a litigation associate at a small law firm before moving to in-house. i mean.... you missed a hearing? That sounds pretty bad. I was like you, especially in a small law firm environment, i didn't have any help or mentorship. I was asked to go to court the next day i swore in, lol, and then i basically lived in the court life for almost half a year, and i get phone call from my boss 24/7 asking for updates and checking in making sure im working. It's hard and stressful in the beginning, but it will get easier once you get the hang of it. I would say i got pretty comfortable in my 3-4 months? I guess largely because i had to learn everything on my own, thru making mistake and getting embarrassed in court, its the tough way, but you will get good at it eventually. take it ez man.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”