2018 PLIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many preselects did you get?

0-3
10%
4-6
15%
7-10
15%
11-15
30%
16-20
15%
20+
15%

Total votes: 40

Anonymous User

Re: 2018 PLIP

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:31 pm

Does anyone else think that the screeners they were selected for seem completely random?!
I got interviews from multiple offices of a V10 firm, but then got dinged at a couple V30-60 firms?? Obviously I'm not complaining or anything, but I just can't make any sense of it... :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 pm

I'm still waiting on Fish and Brown Rudnick

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else think that the screeners they were selected for seem completely random?!
I got interviews from multiple offices of a V10 firm, but then got dinged at a couple V30-60 firms?? Obviously I'm not complaining or anything, but I just can't make any sense of it... :roll:
Maybe those firms preferred different science backgrounds than what you have?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 am

Just a heads up - you can see your current schedule if you click "My Interview Availability" and go to the dates of the fair.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just a heads up - you can see your current schedule if you click "My Interview Availability" and go to the dates of the fair.
Thank you!!

Does anyone know if interviews later in the day is a bad sign?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:36 pm

I'm scheduled for 7 straight interviews the first morning. There's no way to spread those out, is there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm

I've heard from everyone on my list but Fish. I wish these screeners were a little more spaced out though, my Thursday will be challenging.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I know it doesn’t really matter, but what’s considered a good amount of screeners? 0-5? 5-10? 10+?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it doesn’t really matter, but what’s considered a good amount of screeners? 0-5? 5-10? 10+?
OP here. I just added a poll so we can get an idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it doesn’t really matter, but what’s considered a good amount of screeners? 0-5? 5-10? 10+?
“Good” varies depending on who you ask. Frankly, IMO, 1 is good because at least you got something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Do you guys think it’d be worthwhile to reach out to alum at firms where I got a screener? I’d mention that I have an interview at Loyola and just try to get an informational interview. Or too late?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys think it’d be worthwhile to reach out to alum at firms where I got a screener? I’d mention that I have an interview at Loyola and just try to get an informational interview. Or too late?
I've been trying to network all summer, but obviously, you can't hit every firm. Therefore, for the firms I haven't talked to yet, I'm going to start reaching out to alum. But I've been told not to mention that you have an interview already because it might look like you applied without doing your research first.

My question is this: there's a few firms that I got screeners with which I have networked at already. Is it OK to reach out to those alum and ask for OCI tips? And does the answer to the question change if they are in the firms IP group as opposed to non-IP groups (meaning there could be a potential conflict of interest if they are the interviewer)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 am

Fish is out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:22 am

What do you all think the chances are of getting an interview if you're the 8th alternate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 am

I chose not to apply to any IP firms via PLIP because there are limited bids and the same firms are coming to my school's OCI, which has unlimited bids. I thought I would stand out better against the non-IP crowd at my school so I used the limited PLIP bids for big general practice firms. I kind of regret this strategy now because my grades came out after PLIP bids were due and they weren't as good as I expected (still pretty good and from a T1), and therefore I'd like to get my resume looked at by these firms as many times as possible just in case. Did I shoot myself in the foot for Fish/Finnegan/Fitzpatrick/Knobbe, or am I probably still OK?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I chose not to apply to any IP firms via PLIP because there are limited bids and the same firms are coming to my school's OCI, which has unlimited bids. I thought I would stand out better against the non-IP crowd at my school so I used the limited PLIP bids for big general practice firms. I kind of regret this strategy now because my grades came out after PLIP bids were due and they weren't as good as I expected (still pretty good and from a T1), and therefore I'd like to get my resume looked at by these firms as many times as possible just in case. Did I shoot myself in the foot for Fish/Finnegan/Fitzpatrick/Knobbe, or am I probably still OK?
I had a lot of firms ding me for PLIP that are coming to my school's OCI, and I think they may have dinged me for that reason. I think you should be fine. I honestly wish I had applied to less of the firms that will be at my OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 am

OP, can we get a poll asking how many screeners people got? I’m just curious about a quasi-average. I understand it’ll be unrepresentative of the whole PLIP crew.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I chose not to apply to any IP firms via PLIP because there are limited bids and the same firms are coming to my school's OCI, which has unlimited bids. I thought I would stand out better against the non-IP crowd at my school so I used the limited PLIP bids for big general practice firms. I kind of regret this strategy now because my grades came out after PLIP bids were due and they weren't as good as I expected (still pretty good and from a T1), and therefore I'd like to get my resume looked at by these firms as many times as possible just in case. Did I shoot myself in the foot for Fish/Finnegan/Fitzpatrick/Knobbe, or am I probably still OK?
I had a lot of firms ding me for PLIP that are coming to my school's OCI, and I think they may have dinged me for that reason. I think you should be fine. I honestly wish I had applied to less of the firms that will be at my OCI.
I applied to quite a few firms that were coming to my OCI just to try and get my materials in front of them as much as possible. Of the PLIP firms that are coming to my OCI, I had more select me for PLIP than dinged me for PLIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP, can we get a poll asking how many screeners people got? I’m just curious about a quasi-average. I understand it’ll be unrepresentative of the whole PLIP crew.
Hey, I'm the OP. I put a poll up yesterday, is it not showing for you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I applied to quite a few firms that were coming to my OCI just to try and get my materials in front of them as much as possible. Of the PLIP firms that are coming to my OCI, I had more select me for PLIP than dinged me for PLIP.
What market are you in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:48 am

anyone know if we get a map of all the rooms? lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What market are you in?
Not sure who that question is directed at, but I’m OP of this quote chain. I’m in the northeast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, can we get a poll asking how many screeners people got? I’m just curious about a quasi-average. I understand it’ll be unrepresentative of the whole PLIP crew.
Hey, I'm the OP. I put a poll up yesterday, is it not showing for you?
I see it now, thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What market are you in?
Not sure who that question is directed at, but I’m OP of this quote chain. I’m in the northeast.
I was 3rd in this chain and also in the northeast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 am

This is probably a stupid question, but if a firm has 2 interviewers but only one is listed at the top with your interview time and room, does that mean only that one interviewer will be in the room with you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”