Laying Groundwork for Transition From Big Law to Plaintiff's Side (2018 Grad) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yankees12345!

New

Laying Groundwork for Transition From Big Law to Plaintiff's Side (2018 Grad)

Post by yankees12345! » Sat May 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Looking for some advice. Responses genuinely appreciated. Here's what's up:

I just graduated as a member of the class of 2018. After the bar, I will be working in the commercial litigation department of a traditional 'big law' firm. This is a great opportunity to get some experience and pay down debt, and I'm thankful to have the job.

However, my real career goal is to build a plaintiff-side practice in mass torts, consumer class actions, and securities litigation. Something like a Cohen Milstein, Leiff Cabraser, Watts Guerra, Hagens Berman, or Labaton. The higher risk-to-reward ratio and public-interest orientation of these practices are more my speed. As you know, its pretty hard to get these jobs, especially right out of school.

My question is: what should I do between graduation and the Fall (when my job starts) to position myself for such a transition? To the limited extent these practices exist in my area, I have had productive conversations with the main players. Over the summer, though, I'll have an opportunity to travel to the bigger markets, which for my interests are New York and Washington DC. Are 'informational interviews' a thing? What about randomly reaching out to partners with interesting practices and asking them to lunch or coffee?

Any advice on how to best position myself for such a transition would be hugely appreciated. I want to make the most of the summer to set up this next step. Specific people who might be receptive, ways to connect with them, suggestions on etiquette, or really any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

nick417

Bronze

Re: Laying Groundwork for Transition From Big Law to Plaintiff's Side (2018 Grad)

Post by nick417 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:23 pm

I think it is good that you are realistic with big law and your future; most associates leave after 3-5 years. Thus it is never to early to look at your future and position yourself for your next job.

But I think reaching out to partners or attorneys at other firms before you even start at your current firm is misguided. Instead, your focus should be on getting work on the defense side (I assume the big law firm you are working at does mass tort/class action defense). Reach out to partners/attorneys at your current firm. Essentially, you build experience on the defense side for a couple years and then switch sides. Once you are working for a couple years, then it makes sense to reach out to partners/attorneys at plaintiff's firms. But to do that before you even start at your current firm is a red flag. It begs the question: why even work at the big law firm if you don't want to be there? It sounds like you want to leave right away, which is not a good move. But if you wait 3 years, then it just seems normal.

As for what to do between now and your start date: study for the bar and then relax. There isn't anything else to do.

Anonymous User

Re: Laying Groundwork for Transition From Big Law to Plaintiff's Side (2018 Grad)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Not OP, but would love to know what the salary/bonus structure is like at the top plaintiff-side securities litigation shops. I'm also going into big law and would love to make the transition. When I view some of the cases these firms handle, most are outside the jurisdiction where the firm is located, does that mean there is a lot of travel required as part of the job?

yankees12345!

New

Post by yankees12345! » Tue May 29, 2018 6:57 pm

nick417 wrote:I think it is good that you are realistic with big law and your future; most associates leave after 3-5 years. Thus it is never to early to look at your future and position yourself for your next job.

But I think reaching out to partners or attorneys at other firms before you even start at your current firm is misguided. Instead, your focus should be on getting work on the defense side (I assume the big law firm you are working at does mass tort/class action defense). Reach out to partners/attorneys at your current firm. Essentially, you build experience on the defense side for a couple years and then switch sides. Once you are working for a couple years, then it makes sense to reach out to partners/attorneys at plaintiff's firms. But to do that before you even start at your current firm is a red flag. It begs the question: why even work at the big law firm if you don't want to be there? It sounds like you want to leave right away, which is not a good move. But if you wait 3 years, then it just seems normal.

As for what to do between now and your start date: study for the bar and then relax. There isn't anything else to do.
Thanks, Nick. I appreciate the perspective, that makes a lot of sense. Maybe I'll dial back my networking plans for the summer a bit and just give it a few years.

Of course, still interested for other perspectives, both on my specific question and on how to break into these areas generally.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”