1st interview for ausa questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1st interview for ausa questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2018 7:52 am

Hey guys,

I have a 60 minute interview for ausa position in a large competitive district. In a nutshell, resume is fedclerk and ada.

What types of questions do you think I’ll get?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 1st interview for ausa questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 am

why prosecution
why federal prosecution
why this office
tell us about your experience with trials
tell us about your experience running investigations/relationships with agents (cops)
tell us about your relationship with defense counsel
(maybe) what do you find hardest about the job
(maybe) tell us how you prepare for sentencing

(those are all questions I've been asked - the first 6 were pretty common, from there it kind of depends what your interviewers are like I think)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:why prosecution
why federal prosecution
why this office
tell us about your experience running investigations/relationships with agents (cops)

(those are all questions I've been asked - the first 6 were pretty common, from there it kind of depends what your interviewers are like I think)
What else would they ask current state prosecutors? What types of info would help one state prosecutor to distinguish himself from another?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Having interviewed in tons of large offices in the past year (though from biglaw, not ada), I'd think that there's a 50%+ you'll get hypos. Nothing you wouldn't expect and I have to presume things you'd be well-equipped to deal with. Some large offices were extreme into them and challenging, some asked almost none.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Having interviewed in tons of large offices in the past year (though from biglaw, not ada), I'd think that there's a 50%+ you'll get hypos. Nothing you wouldn't expect and I have to presume things you'd be well-equipped to deal with. Some large offices were extreme into them and challenging, some asked almost none.
Care to share what you can remember from an example or two?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Several offices gave some variation on key or sole witness dies or is incapacitated right before defendant agrees to plea. Sometimes offices would test limits of probable cause with an agent calling with thin facts and you’re on a tight timeline (like dying infant or something crazy). What to do with reticent victim/witness. What to do with someone asking for clemency, basically, who had helped you before and was going to die. Felon in possession stuff for unrelated and or old felonies and just some old guy with an antique or whatever. All I can really remember.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2018 7:58 am

Yeah, I've only had hypos in 1 out of 3 interviews, with warning ahead of time, but basically the ones I had have all been variations on discovery issues.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:why prosecution
why federal prosecution
why this office

What else would they ask current state prosecutors? What types of info would help one state prosecutor to distinguish himself from another?
The reason offices are interested in state prosecutors is for their actual experience as prosecutors, so they're going to focus on the bolded stuff. Probably one thing to address is to be able to have a reason for going federal that isn't just better pay, and is also realistic. Also be someone they'd like to work with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”