A whole bunch of questions from an 0L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

A whole bunch of questions from an 0L

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Hey guys. I have some questions. I'm still unsure of what I want to do after law school but I know that I want to work in government eventually, be it for the city of New York (I'm from NYC) or for the Fed. I'm honestly not very picky and don't mind working in a private firm if it's a valid stepping stone to government work. These questions are not mutually inclusive.. I'm just thinking out loud. :D

1. What are some likely exit options for an ADA in one of the five boroughs? Assuming this person has gained felony experience over the years and has the background that would have allowed him/her to go into BigLaw in the first place.

2. If someone wanted to be an AUSA, would working in a "flyover office" (I hate that term) allow them to lateral to EDNY or SDNY after some experience?

3. What could someone do as a law student and within the first few years of employment in order to work for the FDIC or SEC later on? Is BigLaw a requisite "springboard" for these types of jobs?

4. Are there good exit opportunities for assistant corporation counsel in NYC?

Thank you to everyone for helping me figure out some things.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: A whole bunch of questions from an 0L

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Not sure why this is anon, but this may be a useful thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170603

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Post by TheProsecutor » Wed May 23, 2018 8:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys. I have some questions. I'm still unsure of what I want to do after law school but I know that I want to work in government eventually, be it for the city of New York (I'm from NYC) or for the Fed. I'm honestly not very picky and don't mind working in a private firm if it's a valid stepping stone to government work. These questions are not mutually inclusive.. I'm just thinking out loud. :D

1. What are some likely exit options for an ADA in one of the five boroughs? Assuming this person has gained felony experience over the years and has the background that would have allowed him/her to go into BigLaw in the first place.

2. If someone wanted to be an AUSA, would working in a "flyover office" (I hate that term) allow them to lateral to EDNY or SDNY after some experience?

3. What could someone do as a law student and within the first few years of employment in order to work for the FDIC or SEC later on? Is BigLaw a requisite "springboard" for these types of jobs?

4. Are there good exit opportunities for assistant corporation counsel in NYC?

Thank you to everyone for helping me figure out some things.
1. Private practice/AUSA

2. No. Why would EDNY or SDNY hire a lateral from a USAO? The exception is if you have family or from NYC and want to return, I’ve heard of both offices accepting a limited number of AUSAs from other offices.

3. Law Journal/business law classes. The attorney-advisor positions probably don’t require big law, but the enforcement positions generally require previous experience (speaking for SEC, I don’t know anything about FDIC).

4. Yes. That’s a job where you’ll build a lot of good connections. I imagine the exit options are somewhat unique to each individual and can it be easily categorized.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2018 9:55 am

Thank you, that is certainly helpful!

I am from NYC, so I can make a very strong case as to why I'd like to return should I ever move away.

It looks like for the SEC or FDIC BigLaw may be a requirement.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”