Apply through a recruiter or a friend? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Apply through a recruiter or a friend?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm planning to leave my current biglaw firm to move to a biglaw firm in another market. A friend who used to work at my current firm lateraled about nine months ago to a firm in which I'm interested in applying. My friend was kind of a crappy lawyer when he was at my current firm, and I can't imagine he's turned into a butterfly at the new firm, so he may have a reputation for being a crappy lawyer there, too. In this case, is it better to ask my friend to submit my resume on my behalf (and increase the odds that the firm looks seriously at my materials because it won't have to pay a recruiter fee), or should I just go through a recruiter? To the extent that it's relevant, I think someone with my profile would be competitive at this firm. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Anonymous User

Re: Apply through a recruiter or a friend?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm planning to leave my current biglaw firm to move to a biglaw firm in another market. A friend who used to work at my current firm lateraled about nine months ago to a firm in which I'm interested in applying. My friend was kind of a crappy lawyer when he was at my current firm, and I can't imagine he's turned into a butterfly at the new firm, so he may have a reputation for being a crappy lawyer there, too. In this case, is it better to ask my friend to submit my resume on my behalf (and increase the odds that the firm looks seriously at my materials because it won't have to pay a recruiter fee), or should I just go through a recruiter? To the extent that it's relevant, I think someone with my profile would be competitive at this firm. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Any reason the answer isn't (c) apply directly?
If you don't think your friend will be an asset to your application, I'd say trust your instinct.
A recruiter might be helpful, but if the firm is looking to hire, maybe just apply directly? If there's a job posting, apply to it. If not, either send your info to HR or, perhaps more effectively, figure out the partner in your practice group who you'd expect/want to work for, and email him/her directly.

nealric

Re: Apply through a recruiter or a friend?

Post by nealric » Tue May 22, 2018 1:36 pm

To some extent, the answer may depend on the firm and market. My sense is that a V10 in NYC won't bat an eye at a recruiter fee. But a non-vault firm in a small market would probably look at the recruiter referral as a big negative.

I agree with trusting your instincts on your contact to some extent, but I would remind you that you will be working with this person, and you don't want them to feel snubbed regardless of what you think of their legal abilities.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”