Hourly rate for rising 1L/2L for solo, in-house shop Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fearless16

New

Hourly rate for rising 1L/2L for solo, in-house shop

Post by fearless16 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:53 pm

I'll be hiring an intern this summer to work with me at a one-person, in-house shop for a healthcare startup. They'll be doing a lot of research and writing on a variety of business of healthcare topics. What should I expect to pay this person? We aren't offering benefits or anything, just a really cool work environment (we provide a fully stocked kitchen, free coffee and a variety of company events) and a chance to learn about the legal aspects of one of the country's fasting-growing career fields. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Hourly rate for rising 1L/2L for solo, in-house shop

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2018 6:14 pm

A F500 paid me $30/hr as a rising 2L. It’s more about the experience, getting a little money is nice. Most law students probably work for free. I would say you could offer $15/hr and be satisfied with who you get.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A F500 paid me $30/hr as a rising 2L. It’s more about the experience, getting a little money is nice. Most law students probably work for free. I would say you could offer $15/hr and be satisfied with who you get.
I agree with this. I think that most rising 2Ls would be happy with $15/hr, although I'd check to see if the local school(s) offer subsidies for 1Ls with public service jobs (mine offered a $3k stipend for the summer, paid out at a rate of $10/hr for 300 hours). That's probably the main competition for you to worry about.

fearless16

New

Post by fearless16 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks, all. I think we can even do $20 an hour.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:37 pm

The only problem at this point is finding quality applicants... I would normally say offer $10, but $20 may convince some better applicants to renege on their offers and take yours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”