3L Employment After 2L Summer Associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Employment After 2L Summer Associate

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2018 7:19 pm

This summer I am a summer associate at a V50 in NY. It's my understanding that people generally go to the firm they work at over the summer, but I was wondering is it common (or heard of) for students to transfer to other V100 firms even with an offer from their 2L summer firm? I don't really plan on reapplying because that process was such a bitch and I'm happy with my firm, but my very naggy parents (who graciously pay for my education) keep saying that when theyyyy went to law school no one worked at the firm they went to their second year and they expect me to reapply regardless of an offer. I will say both my parents went to V10 firms, one stuck around long enough to make partner although neither practice now, so I want to give some credence to what they say, but at the same time I feel as though hiring has changed, right? Sorry, my career services office at school sucks, so I really have no one to ask!

mecarey

New

Re: 3L Employment After 2L Summer Associate

Post by mecarey » Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm happy with my firm
If pay is equal, that's all you need. Don't let anyone else convince you otherwise.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri May 18, 2018 10:48 pm

Your V50 isn’t god enough for your parents?

You need to be sure you get an offer from your summer firm. If you don’t get an offer, you will have trouble getting anything, so don’t look past this firm.

Hiring needs are not predictable. Firms take most their 1st years from summers. 3L hiring is completely different from 2L hiring. 3L OCI is limited so you will be doing most of your search in your own.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 19, 2018 9:37 am

Oh no I definitely want an offer from my firm (I don’t think I could make more money anywhere besides a firm that pays over market lol), and at this point I have no reason to not want to work there. It has very strong practice groups in the two areas of law I’m considering, one I’m not sure I could do much better, and everyone I’ve met in those groups still has souls and are really fun, quirky people! I was more just curious if 3L hiring for big law was a real thing or not. But thank you for explaining, I really appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”