Job Opportunities for foreign-educated attorneys that enrolled in the Two-Year JD program Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
loriago

New

Job Opportunities for foreign-educated attorneys that enrolled in the Two-Year JD program

Post by loriago » Wed May 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Hello,
I'm applying to the Two-Year JD program for foreign-educated attorneys at Northwestern Law for Fall 2018. I've heard employers are skeptical about hiring lawyers with the Advanced JD because of the disadvantage with regard to summer employment, which is very important for getting a job at a top firm after graduation. How true is this? To those who graduated from this program, what are you doing now? Years of experience? Salary?

Anonymous User

Re: Job Opportunities for foreign-educated attorneys that enrolled in the Two-Year JD program

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 2:47 pm

The rumor is true. You don't have 1L grades going into OCI. Your language proficiency may also be an issue if English is not your first language. Employers can be very skeptical.

Anonymous User

Re: Job Opportunities for foreign-educated attorneys that enrolled in the Two-Year JD program

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 pm

I agree with the poster above. Additionally, assuming you are not a permanent resident and your ultimate goal is to stay in the US, be aware that it will be extremely hard. It's only worth it if you have very specific abilities that are not commonly found in the US and are relevant to the practice you are going to (i.e., speaking mandarin if you are doing real estate will not make you any more attractive for employers than a US student).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”