Unemployed studying for the UBE, any tips before my call tomorrow are appreciated Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unemployed studying for the UBE, any tips before my call tomorrow are appreciated

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 12:27 pm

I've failed so many times already, but now I'm finally taking a prep course because I have struggled financially and a family member was able to register me for Themis Bar Review. I almost got a junior AML compliance position through Michael Page recruiting and got dinged in the last round. I'm not even sure where to look anymore for JD-preferred jobs, or just focus on the bar only. I do have a phone call with a sports exec tomorrow after meeting with him several months ago at a league office in-person and I'm praying for a miracle during the call tomorrow. Any tips are appreciated, thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Unemployed studying for the UBE, any tips before my call tomorrow are appreciated

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 1:24 pm

First, take a step back and breathe. Big, big breath.

Now, it seems that you are really hustling and trying to secure a position which I think is a huge positive. You have a good head on your shoulders.

Your main priority right now should be studying for the bar and PASSING the bar. I know that being unemployed is daunting (trust me, I'VE BEEN THERE), but if you don't pass the bar, that will just lower your chances of ever finding a legal position ever (which, if you're not dead set on the law, isn't fatal, but you're still fighting, right?). While this call that you have tomorrow sounds like a great opportunity, make sure to breath first and realize that even if it means passing up on this opportunity through the phone call, you should really try to focus on passing the bar. Look back at where you went wrong in the past and try to focus on those issues. Was it timing? Was it lack of substantive knowledge? Maybe you're not writing your essays correctly. Whatever it is, try to identify those issues and train yourself to overcome them (you have a good two months to the bar).

With regards to the phone call, just try to relax and be yourself. You've developed this relationship for a couple of years, you say? It seems that s/he likes you enough already. Just be yourself, get your talking points organized and practiced, and let the conversation flow. Be aware that, as you said, this might not lead to anything long term. But at the end of the day, a connection is a connection, and especially when you're looking for a job, you need to be mindful to maintain those relationships to the best of your ability.

Breathe, OP. You can do this. I have faith in you.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Unemployed studying for the UBE, any tips before my call tomorrow are appreciated

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Since you have enrolled in a very well respected bar review course, you will pass the bar exam at your next sitting.

Do not panic. Do not over study. Pace yourself in a reasonable & consistent manner. Law school exams are more difficult than bar exams in many instances. I suspect that you are psyching yourself out before each bar exam. Trust your bar prep course & trust yourself. Bar exams are competency exams, not IQ tests. You will do fine if you stick to a reasonably paced study program.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Also, if you are sitting for the UBE, it is likely that you will earn a passing score in at least a few jurisdictions. That alone should give you comfort & confidence. UBE paired with a reputable bar exam review course is almost a guarantee of a passing score if you stick to a well thought out study plan & schedule.

In short, relax as the UBE is your friend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”