2018 3L Hiring for Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2018 3L Hiring for Firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:45 pm

if you get bad grades 2L, is it impossible to trade-up in 3L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:45 pm

Any suggestions for SA when to start mass mail? Should we start before SA ends? Looking for DC market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:23 pm

How does a bigfed internship (DOJ/SEC) compare to having a SA offer for 3L hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:if you get bad grades 2L, is it impossible to trade-up in 3L?
It's hard to get a 3L position with good to average grades 2L, let alone worse grades. I'd expect to start at your current firm. Generally 3L hiring is REALLY not a thing that happens unless you're a great student.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Yeah, that's what I expected. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:33 pm

May be a dumb question, but is it possible that some firms may experience SA movement due to the raises?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:23 am

Top third at T14, looking to upgrade after SA. Better to email recruiters and apply or look for alum in practice area of interest and ask to meet for coffee (or both)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Bumping this to see if there’s been any movement here - I’m at CCN & a V50 this summer, not committed to “trading up” necessarily but a little worried about not getting the practice group I want at my summer firm, so trying to cover my bases. Kind of surprised by how few firms there are at OCI/on symplicity & wondering if anyone’s heard of any movement here anecdotally?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:46 pm

Curious if anyone’s done any callbacks yet? Or if anyone has gone through the 3L interviewing process and have an idea of timelines. I did a callback last Wednesday but at the end the recruiting director basically said they don’t know how long the decision process will take since they haven’t even extended offers to their current summers yet. I think this firm is traditionally known for quick turnarounds, but that's for 2L hires which are bound to be different.
They basically asked if I knew what group I would be interested in since one of their groups is really busy now but I didn't want to commit to anything so I just said I was generally interested in corporate. Starting to doubt that decision since I'd be happy doing anything biglaw really :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious if anyone’s done any callbacks yet? Or if anyone has gone through the 3L interviewing process and have an idea of timelines. I did a callback last Wednesday but at the end the recruiting director basically said they don’t know how long the decision process will take since they haven’t even extended offers to their current summers yet. I think this firm is traditionally known for quick turnarounds, but that's for 2L hires which are bound to be different.
They basically asked if I knew what group I would be interested in since one of their groups is really busy now but I didn't want to commit to anything so I just said I was generally interested in corporate. Starting to doubt that decision since I'd be happy doing anything biglaw really :roll:
Have done a couple callbacks and have uniformly received the same message re: it's too early to make a decision

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Curious if anyone’s done any callbacks yet? Or if anyone has gone through the 3L interviewing process and have an idea of timelines. I did a callback last Wednesday but at the end the recruiting director basically said they don’t know how long the decision process will take since they haven’t even extended offers to their current summers yet. I think this firm is traditionally known for quick turnarounds, but that's for 2L hires which are bound to be different.
Have done a couple callbacks and have uniformly received the same message re: it's too early to make a decision
Did you summer in biglaw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Has anyone done an STB callback & if so, how long did it take for them to contact you after you applied?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions for SA when to start mass mail? Should we start before SA ends? Looking for DC market.

Bump. Is it appropriate to start mass mailing, or even sending out targeted emails before SA associate ends?
This. I'm gonna get no offered in 3 weeks and would like to avoid suicide if possible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did you summer in biglaw?
Curious too
Also, which firms & region?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done an STB callback & if so, how long did it take for them to contact you after you applied?
I originally contacted to ask what materials to send. Two days later, I sent everything and two days after that, they reached out to schedule. The interview ended up being a couple weeks later though because of the July 4 holiday and I guess it was really early on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Which firms are interviewing at OCI at your schools?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
How long did you wait before following up then? Don’t want to seem like I’m nagging too soon but also don’t want to seem disinterested or be forgotten

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How long did you wait before following up then? Don’t want to seem like I’m nagging too soon but also don’t want to seem disinterested or be forgotten
Anon who posted the couple callbacks comment. I did another callback since posting that comment with a V30, received an offer, and accepted it. I will say most firms were not in any hurry to give offers and I just lucked into one that was. I did not summer in biglaw or midlaw. Most places told me a date to follow up by (ex. end of summer program, this fall, etc.) and I would've followed that had I still been looking.

I'm not going to post regions, firms, or personal stats out of fear of outing myself. TLS makes it sound like it really is rare for a 3L to land a major market biglaw gig. I will say that it would not have been possible had I not spent the summer networking as often as I could and doing a 1L summer type of mass mailing to firms in any market I feasibly had a connection with (sometimes multiple offices of the same firm). If I can give any advice to other people in my shoes, it would be to apply everywhere and to try to know someone at most places you apply (standard TLS advice but it really does make the difference).

I will say that some of my interviews also came from firms that I never expected to have a chance with or that I never expected to hire outside of their summer class. So just stay hopeful and apply everywhere. There are a few biglaw jobs out there and I'm assuming there will likely be more now that the summer programs are wrapping up.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon who posted the couple callbacks comment. I did another callback since posting that comment with a V30, received an offer, and accepted it. I will say most firms were not in any hurry to give offers and I just lucked into one that was. I did not summer in biglaw or midlaw. Most places told me a date to follow up by (ex. end of summer program, this fall, etc.) and I would've followed that had I still been looking.

I'm not going to post regions, firms, or personal stats out of fear of outing myself. TLS makes it sound like it really is rare for a 3L to land a major market biglaw gig. I will say that it would not have been possible had I not spent the summer networking as often as I could and doing a 1L summer type of mass mailing to firms in any market I feasibly had a connection with (sometimes multiple offices of the same firm). If I can give any advice to other people in my shoes, it would be to apply everywhere and to try to know someone at most places you apply (standard TLS advice but it really does make the difference).

I will say that some of my interviews also came from firms that I never expected to have a chance with or that I never expected to hire outside of their summer class. So just stay hopeful and apply everywhere. There are a few biglaw jobs out there and I'm assuming there will likely be more now that the summer programs are wrapping up.
OOC what are your stats like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Nothing special at all. It really was just the persistence and networking that paid off, my stats didn't make me an obvious biglaw contender or anything like that. I didn't not summer with a biglaw firm out of choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Just got a CB from a biglaw firm. Any advice from those who have succeeded with their 3L CB interviews? It's a specialization that I happen to be focused in, didn't do Biglaw this last summer. I'm very happy they're interested but also a a bit of a wreck, since TLS wisdom tells me I really don't have a great shot (not saying it's impossible, but worried about getting my hopes up).

Biggest question, is there any way to increase my chances? CB might be a couple weeks away, should I reach out to connections and see if they know anybody at the firm? Reach out to any alumni who might be there? Or does that come off wrong, and I should just not mess around and wait for their email about scheduling times, etc.

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a CB from a biglaw firm. Any advice from those who have succeeded with their 3L CB interviews? It's a specialization that I happen to be focused in, didn't do Biglaw this last summer. I'm very happy they're interested but also a a bit of a wreck, since TLS wisdom tells me I really don't have a great shot (not saying it's impossible, but worried about getting my hopes up).

Biggest question, is there any way to increase my chances? CB might be a couple weeks away, should I reach out to connections and see if they know anybody at the firm? Reach out to any alumni who might be there? Or does that come off wrong, and I should just not mess around and wait for their email about scheduling times, etc.

Thanks!
Same Anon here, just to add, the firm is in the south, (Atlanta/Miami/New Orleans). Does that make any difference as to how I approach this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 am

Anyone know if S&C is hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Anyone have a timeline for Applying --> Screener --> Call-back --> Offer?

Is it slower than 2L?

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a CB from a biglaw firm. Any advice from those who have succeeded with their 3L CB interviews? It's a specialization that I happen to be focused in, didn't do Biglaw this last summer. I'm very happy they're interested but also a a bit of a wreck, since TLS wisdom tells me I really don't have a great shot (not saying it's impossible, but worried about getting my hopes up).

Thanks!
Anon, I got a biglaw job my 3L fall after not summering at any law firm in the prior summer. I see you are interviewing in the south so I have NO idea how that market might approach things differently, so my advice is rather broad.
Firstly, I had very good friends who, though they were only incoming associates, spoke highly on my behalf to people at the firm for me (I don't know who, but probably a close partner or a hiring staff member). I don't know if that helped me, but I think it may have given me a boost over other candidates who didn't otherwise get their name a little higher in the stack of resumes.
Secondly, I thought hard about what hiring staff are looking for in 3L hires. Probably mostly the same as 2Ls, but I wanted to show that I was bringing some more thoughtfulness and insight about why I was now doing biglaw recruiting. I think I am a strong interviewer, so I really highlighted why my summer experience really reinforced that I wanted to go into biglaw versus client-side work (which is where I was over the summer), my leadership roles during 2L, and why this particular firm was the right choice as a "seasoned" 3L. I tried to speak really intelligently and passionately about my note if it came up, so I do think it helped.

In other words, this was highly anecdotal, but my approach was "seem knowledgeable, like I really thought about why I want to go into biglaw (not just sound like I want to because all my friends are), and show that I'm a leader and a hard worker who keeps hustling." Hope that is somewhat helpful.
Last edited by JHP on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”