2018 3L Hiring for Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JHP

Bronze

Re: 2018 3L Hiring for Firms?

Post by JHP » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have a timeline for Applying --> Screener --> Call-back --> Offer?

Is it slower than 2L?
I think it tends to be faster or at least just as fast as 1L OCI just because of the circumstances that tend to surround 3L hiring. Sometimes they find that they are understaffed in particular areas and want to make sure they've secured warm bodies for the upcoming fall. Other times they non-offered or got turned down by a summer and they want to make sure they keep up the number of associates they are bringing in for practice groups, etc.

I sent in a resume/got asked to send a resume in late summer, interviewed in early fall, heard back a week after the interviews and got the offer. Seems about the same length of time for a friend who got an offer after graduation in the late spring as well.

If you get a screener, obviously the process will take longer, but for me, I went straight from applying --> call back

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Any movement?

Is it true that 3L hiring begins to move really in September?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:52 pm

JHP wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have a timeline for Applying --> Screener --> Call-back --> Offer?

Is it slower than 2L?
I think it tends to be faster or at least just as fast as 1L OCI just because of the circumstances that tend to surround 3L hiring. Sometimes they find that they are understaffed in particular areas and want to make sure they've secured warm bodies for the upcoming fall. Other times they non-offered or got turned down by a summer and they want to make sure they keep up the number of associates they are bringing in for practice groups, etc.

I sent in a resume/got asked to send a resume in late summer, interviewed in early fall, heard back a week after the interviews and got the offer. Seems about the same length of time for a friend who got an offer after graduation in the late spring as well.

If you get a screener, obviously the process will take longer, but for me, I went straight from applying --> call back
Thanks for letting me know, I've only gotten screeners thus far, but nor CBs.

I'm hoping hiring starts moving as the fall rolls in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement?

Can't speak for what 3L hiring is like in September but it hasn't been nonexistent this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement?

Can't speak for what 3L hiring is like in September but it hasn't been nonexistent this summer.
Do you mind elaborating? type/size of firm, locations, etc

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Wondering about timelines and updates from others about CB's, any good experiences/suggestions? etc.

Just had my first 3L CB last week. Felt identical to the 2L interviews, except that almost every interviewer asked, in some form, (1) whether I had an offer from my SA firm, (2) why I'm more interested in their firm, and not my SA firm, and (3) about my specific practice area interests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Just got a biglaw NY offer today! Did the callback about a month and a half ago so don't give up!

ThrewItAway152

New

Post by ThrewItAway152 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a biglaw NY offer today! Did the callback about a month and a half ago so don't give up!
Firm? PM me if you'd like

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any NY movement?
Several v15s are moving

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a biglaw NY offer today! Did the callback about a month and a half ago so don't give up!
So happy to hear it! I did mine (biglaw NY firm) about 2 weeks ago, and though they followed up that I'd hear back by the end of last week, I haven't heard anything since :/. I think if I got an offer I'd probably first cry tears of joy for a good 3 minutes and then buy drinks for everybody on this thread.

Did you do anything after the CB to improve odds? I'm mulling over sending them an updated resume (reflecting a small-firm job I got for the fall) and reminding them of my interest... Any advice/suggestions on that from anybody? Could that possibly hurt me in any way?

Thanks! And congrats on offer again anon

ThrewItAway152

New

Post by ThrewItAway152 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any NY movement?
Several v15s are moving
PM?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:12 pm

Morgan Lewis NY ding
Kirkland NY ding

bond232518

New

Post by bond232518 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Also would you mind telling me who?
Feel free to pm me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:30 pm

I sent out a few emails to ten firms or so about my summer experience in early August, and indicated that I'd received an offer. I have until Oct. 1, but I don't want to leave my firm waiting too long, because I'm not sure about the optics and I do like the place.

Should I send out additional emails and ask what the status is, and if so how have people that have done this worded it without sounding pushy? Or should I just accept the offer?

(Also applied to Kirkland NY, but didn't get a ding yet, so I'm not sure if they just haven't gotten to me or are keeping my app in mind)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 am

Firms that are hiring according to my school's Symplicity
Paul Weiss (NY) (Corp)
Akin Gump (NY) (Corp)
Weil (NY) (Corp)
Kirkland (NY) (Corp)

Simpson (HOU) (looking for 3Ls & LLMs)
Vinson & Elkins (HOU) (Corp) (3Ls & LLMs)
Also heard from a friend Kirkland HOU was hiring, but that was back in June - doesn't hurt to apply anyways!

Goodwin Procter (SF) (Business Law)
Simpson (Palo Alto) (Corp)

Morgan Lewis (Princeton, NJ) (Corp)
Morgan Lewis (Princeton, NJ) (Labor)
Morgan Lewis (Princeton, NJ) (Litigation)
Morgan Lewis (Hartford, CT) (Finance)
Ballard Spahr (Wilmington, DE) (Litigation)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:51 pm

Any Quinn CB/offers yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Per my school’s symplicity, DPW is also hiring into Credit and Capital Markets, and Skadden is hiring into Banking and Exec Comp.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Per my school’s symplicity, DPW is also hiring into Credit and Capital Markets, and Skadden is hiring into Banking and Exec Comp.
all NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Per my school’s symplicity, DPW is also hiring into Credit and Capital Markets, and Skadden is hiring into Banking and Exec Comp.
all NY?
Yep! Skadden HK also made a non-group specific post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:38 pm

How does 3L hiring work? I'm guessing it is straight hire into a first-year associate position? Or do some firms make you be a summer associate after you graduate and then decide whether to offer you alongside the rest of the SAs?

I'm curious because I am likely to not do biglaw my 2L summer, but interested in shooting for biglaw in a major market after graduation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:51 pm

Anyone know the timeline for Selendy? Did a callback a while ago. Curious what to expect.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does 3L hiring work? I'm guessing it is straight hire into a first-year associate position? Or do some firms make you be a summer associate after you graduate and then decide whether to offer you alongside the rest of the SAs?

I'm curious because I am likely to not do biglaw my 2L summer, but interested in shooting for biglaw in a major market after graduation.
If you're interested in doing BigLaw after graduation, you should definitely do BigLaw your 2L summer. That is the route through which the vast, vast majority of first-year associate offers are given. 3L OCI is primarily for 2L BigLaw SAs looking to switch firms, and even for them, 3L OCI's a crapshoot, exponentially harder than 2L OCI and with exponentially fewer options. Folks who don't have a 2L SA under their belt have it even worse: Rightly or wrongly, firms assume that these students weren't able to land a 2L SA for whatever reason.

Finally, even if you do manage to land a position as a 3L, 3L hiring tends to be directly into a specific practice group (since firms usually only hire 3Ls if they discover a need for extra bodies in a specific area). Most firms offer returning 2L SAs the opportunity to rotate practice areas as full-time juniors; as a direct-hire 3L, you'd be robbed of that flexibility.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:29 pm

Weil NY is looking for 3Ls to place into their Real Estate and Structured Finance groups

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weil NY is looking for 3Ls to place into their Real Estate and Structured Finance groups
What school’s symplicity is this from? At a T6 and they haven’t posted on ours, but interested!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Weil NY is looking for 3Ls to place into their Real Estate and Structured Finance groups
What school’s symplicity is this from? At a T6 and they haven’t posted on ours, but interested!
Weil website doesn't show anything either

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”