SEMJF 2018

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do we know approximately how many people bid at SEMJF?

nope, but it’s definitely in the hundreds given the number of firms and slots available

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:where is it supposed to show alternates?


I believe it's in the same spot as the accept or decline..but instead, it says accept alternate.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:30 am

School: T14
GPA/Rank: Below Median
URM/Affiliation?: AA
IP/Ties/etc.?: IP Background
Specific Cities Bidding: none
Max Bids? / # of bids: 20
# of Pre-Selects: 6

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 am

School: T14
Rank: somewhere betweeen top 20-30%
Race: East Asian
Bids: 8

Preselects: 8

No PI/Gov
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:25 am

School: T25
GPA/Rank: 25%-30%
URM/Affiliation?: Asian
IP/Ties/etc.?: International student, no ties.
Specific Cities Bidding: none
Max Bids? / # of bids: 23
# of Pre-Selects: 7

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:24 pm

School: T50
GPA/Rank: top 5%
URM/Affiliation?: AA/mixed
Max Bids? / # of bids: 15
# of Pre-Selects: 5 pre-selects, 4 alternates

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 pm

School: Tier 1
GPA/Rank: 5%
URM/Affiliation?: Mixed
IP/Ties/etc.?: None
Specific Cities Bidding: Atlanta/DC/Miami
Max Bids? / # of bids: 20
# of Pre-Selects: 12
# of Alternates: 1

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Where is everyone staying?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:30 pm

School: T14
GPA/Rank: Below Median
URM/Affiliation?: Mexican
IP/Ties/etc.?: None
Specific Cities Bidding: DC
Max Bids? / # of bids: 9
# of Pre-Selects: 4
# of Alternates: 2 (declined 1)

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:07 pm

School: Tier 1
GPA/Rank: Bottom 50%
URM/Affiliation?: Asain
IP/Ties/etc.?: None
Specific Cities Bidding: None
Max Bids? / # of bids: 20
# of Pre-Selects: 5
# of Alternates: 4

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Tier 1
3 preselects, 3 alternates (Someone please decline their Shook, Hardy, & Bacon bid)
Chicago market

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Tier 1 Top 16% - 1L biglaw SA (+LCLD)
Affiliation: Asian
Bids: 16
Preselects: 6
Alternates: 5
Targeting: ATL & CA
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 pm

anyone targeting NC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 pm

School: Top 40
GPA/Rank: Top 24%
URM/Affiliation?: Non-URM. Multi-citizenship, int'l background
IP/Ties/etc.?: None.
Specific Cities Bidding: DC, Philly, NYC, Charlotte
Max Bids? / # of bids: 20 (all biglaw)
# of Pre-Selects: 7
# of Alternates: 3

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm

School: Top 40
GPA/Rank: Median
URM/Affiliation?: Hispanic
IP/Ties/etc.?: IP, Ties to one
Specific Cities Bidding: N/A
Max Bids? / # of bids: 4 (IP & Employment - NO public interest)
# of Pre-Selects: 1
# of Alternates: 0

Sometimes it be that way.

Edit: Changed my URM
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:56 pm

did anyone else get interviews with firms you thought you had no shot at? wondering how common it is.

jump4lyfe

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:50 am

Re: SEMJF Thread

Postby jump4lyfe » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am, but I was considering transferring to a T14 non-southern law school. I'm not 100% on board with transferring but it was just something I wanted to explore. If I chose to transfer (I would find out mid-late July), would it be inappropriate to continue with the interviews? I'm not really sure what I would I in that situation.


It depends on your law school. If it's not a school that participates in SEMJF, then you wouldn't be able to interview. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem.



Just to let you know. I go to a school in the New England area and I registered for SEMJF through Emory reciprocity (I did not know it was possible just trying my luck) and received two interviews with law firms and some with Gov.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Is there a way to reject after accepting?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a way to reject after accepting?

ask your career services

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:33 pm

Reminder: Deadline for accepting and declining interviews is on Thursday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:19 am

Anyone else have a "not invited" become a preselect without any notice? No complaints, just wondering what could have happened.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else have a "not invited" become a preselect without any notice? No complaints, just wondering what could have happened.

people probably turned down their interviews and alternates

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:47 am

I accepted an interview position, but I'm not sure how SEMJF works.

1.) Will we be notified of an interview time in advance of the dates?
2.) Is there anything else to do at SEMJF besides our pre-select interviews? I've seen things about "tabling" but not much else. I've never attended a job fair; I don't know what to expect.

Any veteran SEMJF attendees that can lend some perspective?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an interview position, but I'm not sure how SEMJF works.

1.) Will we be notified of an interview time in advance of the dates?
2.) Is there anything else to do at SEMJF besides our pre-select interviews? I've seen things about "tabling" but not much else. I've never attended a job fair; I don't know what to expect.

Any veteran SEMJF attendees that can lend some perspective?


You will be notified of your interview times on Monday, July 9th. So you will know them in advance, they will either be that Friday afternoon or Saturday anytime during the day. I will also keep evenings open, firms are known to take people to drinks and the life Saturday evening.

And honestly, there will be some tabling, but everyone will be in a big room staring at their resumes and writing samples half the time, or standing outside of a door waiting for their interview anxiously.

Last year, the National BLSA had a little seminar and snacks on Saturday morning. So, some people will be there.

If you are a minority, please do not be surprised by the number of white people who will be attending lol.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316712
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEMJF 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an interview position, but I'm not sure how SEMJF works.

1.) Will we be notified of an interview time in advance of the dates?
2.) Is there anything else to do at SEMJF besides our pre-select interviews? I've seen things about "tabling" but not much else. I've never attended a job fair; I don't know what to expect.

Any veteran SEMJF attendees that can lend some perspective?


You will be notified of your interview times on Monday, July 9th. So you will know them in advance, they will either be that Friday afternoon or Saturday anytime during the day. I will also keep evenings open, firms are known to take people to drinks and the life Saturday evening.

And honestly, there will be some tabling, but everyone will be in a big room staring at their resumes and writing samples half the time, or standing outside of a door waiting for their interview anxiously.

Last year, the National BLSA had a little seminar and snacks on Saturday morning. So, some people will be there.

If you are a minority, please do not be surprised by the number of white people who will be attending lol.


Thank you so much for the response! I'll keep in mind the Saturday evening tip.

And, while I am a minority, I know that a lot of white people from my school applied to the fair so I am far from surprised. lol



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.