SEMJF 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEMJF 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the "Total Slots" number for some employers has decreased, with some showing a 0? Any idea what that could mean?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the "Total Slots" number for some employers has decreased, with some showing a 0? Any idea what that could mean?
I don't think that really means anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:38 am

When will we see interview times?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:When will we see interview times?
email just got sent: July 9th :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 am

schedules are up

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:17 am

schedules are up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:38 am

Does anyone else have back-to-back interviews with no time in between that are located in different rooms and on different floors, presumably? How are they expecting us to make it to them on time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else have back-to-back interviews with no time in between that are located in different rooms and on different floors, presumably? How are they expecting us to make it to them on time?
yes, just let both firms know the situation so they don't hold you late / get upset for being a minute late

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Does anyone have time in between interviews? Every one of my interviews are back to back with another one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have time in between interviews? Every one of my interviews are back to back with another one.
I have both, two of my interviews are back to back and the rest have large gaps between them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:06 pm

I got a dilemma guys. So i'm also thinking of transferring, got accepted to a T14. I know that a previous poster said that transferring is ok and I won't lose interviews, but I'm still not sure what to do in my situation.

You see, someone from OCS at my school is going to the job fair, and he wants us to tell him whether we will be there and all of our travel plans (so that he can contact employers and SEMJF to reschedule interviews if we are late). He says that if we don't tell him prior to starting the job fair, we might have all of our interviews canceled. I'm worried about telling him because I'm afraid that if he finds out I'm transferring, he will make me cancel my interviews. Why do I think he might make me cancel my interviews? Because I've spoken to a professor who's been at my current school for a long time and is part of the administrative staff, and he says that if I transfer, I will lose all my interviews at job fairs, including SEMJF (which doesn't make sense but that's what he said).

SEMJF has also made clear that we should not contact them directly, about anything, and that all questions should be directed through our school contact person. What should I do?

Do I tell the OCS person about my plans and risk losing the interviews?
Do I not tell him and just go and risk losing the interviews?
Do I contact SEMJF and ask them about this against their "no direct contact" policy? ("Any Violation Could Result In Forfeiture of Your Interviews.")

Other thoughts?

Thank you for any advice you may have!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a dilemma guys. So i'm also thinking of transferring, got accepted to a T14. I know that a previous poster said that transferring is ok and I won't lose interviews, but I'm still not sure what to do in my situation.

You see, someone from OCS at my school is going to the job fair, and he wants us to tell him whether we will be there and all of our travel plans (so that he can contact employers and SEMJF to reschedule interviews if we are late).
tell him you'll be there now, since you haven't decided to transfer yet? any downside to that?

Lawonomics

New

Post by Lawonomics » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have time in between interviews? Every one of my interviews are back to back with another one.
I have both, two of my interviews are back to back and the rest have large gaps between them.
Yeah almost all of my interviews are back to back..like 1 or 2 have a little gap in between.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jump4lyfe

New

Post by jump4lyfe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:did anyone else get interviews with firms you thought you had no shot at? wondering how common it is.
Yeah I did. I worked hard on the cover letter and hoped something from my past experience stood out enough to mask my current gpa. Glad I bid.

jump4lyfe

New

Post by jump4lyfe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the poster who is considering a transfer, you're fine. I transferred from a participating school to a non-participating school, but I was still allowed (and encouraged) to participate because my enrollment at the new school was effective in the fall. Employers take it as a negative and I think it might have even helped.

I do not attend a participating school and I received bids for this job fair. I was surprised when Emory accepted my pre-registration (I used their simplicity site) and I was surprised when I saw the multiple pre-selects. The only ones I did not get bids for were the ones for firms that actually attend a job fair/OCI my school participates in (I did not know at the time).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got a dilemma guys. So i'm also thinking of transferring, got accepted to a T14. I know that a previous poster said that transferring is ok and I won't lose interviews, but I'm still not sure what to do in my situation.

You see, someone from OCS at my school is going to the job fair, and he wants us to tell him whether we will be there and all of our travel plans (so that he can contact employers and SEMJF to reschedule interviews if we are late). He says that if we don't tell him prior to starting the job fair, we might have all of our interviews canceled. I'm worried about telling him because I'm afraid that if he finds out I'm transferring, he will make me cancel my interviews. Why do I think he might make me cancel my interviews? Because I've spoken to a professor who's been at my current school for a long time and is part of the administrative staff, and he says that if I transfer, I will lose all my interviews at job fairs, including SEMJF (which doesn't make sense but that's what he said).

SEMJF has also made clear that we should not contact them directly, about anything, and that all questions should be directed through our school contact person. What should I do?

Do I tell the OCS person about my plans and risk losing the interviews?
Do I not tell him and just go and risk losing the interviews?
Do I contact SEMJF and ask them about this against their "no direct contact" policy? ("Any Violation Could Result In Forfeiture of Your Interviews.")

Other thoughts?

Thank you for any advice you may have!
OP here, I tried a few things. I called SEMJF directly and tried to ask but they would not answer and told me to ask through my school.
My school OCS found out that I am considering transferring and is strongly suggesting that I withdraw from SEMJF. Basically, if I want a positive reference from anyone at the school, I feel like I have to withdraw. At this point I haven't even firmly decided whether I want to transfer, but it seems like I will lose my interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 am

Anyone think we will get any movement today?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone think we will get any movement today?
based on last year's thread, possibly from the big V100 firms like Sidley, though I think there were far fewer this year than last year. most people won't hear a thing until firms conduct their OCIs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:28 am

Did Bryan Cave take anybody out to dinner like last year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did Bryan Cave take anybody out to dinner like last year?
or any other firm*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Anyone who had Baker Donelson find the experience a bit weird?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who had Baker Donelson find the experience a bit weird?
I thought my experience with Jones Day was a bit weird and others I've spoken to agreed with that sentiment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Why did you think Jones Day was weird?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why did you think Jones Day was weird?
Not OP, but those two Jones Day interviewers had their souls taken away a looooooong time ago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:28 pm

I thought Baker Donelson was great. Also, K&S made offers today. A&B made callbacks too. Did anyone hear from Greenberg for CBs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”