Applied to firm where I previously interviewed - reach out to partner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applied to firm where I previously interviewed - reach out to partner?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Hoping for some input on my situation.

I was searching for a new job in the early part of last year (2017). Sometime around Feb/March, a well-regarded mentor of mine connected me to the head partner of a regional office of a midsize firm that specializes in my area of practice. The firm did not have any openings at the time but they offered me a chance to interview. I've had my eye on this firm for a while so I was thrilled. I interviewed with 3 partners individually (including my mentor's connection) and had lunch with 2 associates. Overall, I thought things went well.

Unfortunately I was not extended an offer. Through some back-channeling by another connection I found out that while the firm felt my experience was interesting, I did not have the academic credentials they like to see from candidates with my level of experience. At the time I was in the first few months of my second year of practice and was working at a regulatory agency. Since that time, I've gone in house and have been in this role for about a year.

Well by chance I noticed that the firm posted an opening for an associate position just yesterday. I already sent an application in and am now debating whether I should contact the regional office head partner directly and give him the heads up that I've done so. I figure if my application has any shot on its own, he'll recognize me anyway, so I don't really see the downside. Of course, I did get the feeling that my previous interview was just a courtesy to my mentor and I don't want to come off as a bother.

Thoughts? Would reaching out to the partner be viewed as taking initiative or just annoying? There was also another partner there who had just started when I interviewed and she was building out a new part of their practice that seemed very interesting. Of all the people I met that day, she seemed most interested in me. Should I reach out to her instead and/or as well?

Anonymous User

Re: Applied to firm where I previously interviewed - reach out to partner?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:46 pm

If you still want this gig then yes. to both, say that you are still interested. And no interview is a courtesy interview....? Is the firm snooty about grades and school or what does it mean when you said "lacked academic credentials..." Sounds like you are a junior so

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:11 pm

OP here, thanks for the input.

The firm is a reputable one with big law credentials and a limited growth plan. They also do not have a regular summer associate program so they're a bit picky on who they take on but, as I was told in my interview, median grades and school rank are not blanket prohibitions. And sorry if it wasn't clear but yes I am relatively junior, was barely in my second year during my first interview and now about halfway through my third year. The current open position is for a midlevel (the posting said third to seventh years).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Ok, one of those firms. Then there is simply not enough money/ confidence to take on a junior at this point. Especially if one did not strike them as razor sharp/ picking up experiences and skills way above their class type of people. In a sense, for firms with tighter budget and not-so-bullish financial prospect, at this point they are probably really shooting for a mid-level instead of you, a class of 2017 grad. It sounds like you already have a job going on so stick with the current job. Also, when they chose not to offer you when you went in for an interview, it's not like they hired someone else similar in your seniority so there is no that much to worry about. Go to firms with a summer class for christ sake

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”