Lateral Question - Negotiating Signing Bonus for Not using a Legal Recruiter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Question - Negotiating Signing Bonus for Not using a Legal Recruiter

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Working at a V100 firm, and recently got an offer from a V50 firm.

I applied directly instead of using a legal recruiter.

What is the TLS wisdom on responding by asking for a signing bonus for not using a recruiter? I saved the firm roughly 50k, afterall.

Is this likely to result in the offer being rescinded? I'll appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Question - Negotiating Signing Bonus for Not using a Legal Recruiter

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 pm

When I lateraled about a year ago from one v10 to another v10, I also didn't use a recruiter. I was offered a bonus of about 12.5% of salary and tried to negotiate it up to 25% of salary. There was already a signing bonus on the table, so this is a slightly different situation, but hopefully this is a useful data point. I had a job I liked well enough so I wasn't too concerned about any risk of the offer being pulled, but in retrospect I think that risk is pretty low if you're professional. I phrased it as "I think this is what market is because I'm not using a recruiter and I'm trying to get market." I think this was an effective way to be nonconfrontational while still advocating for myself.

It didn't work and I got the sense I caught the partner a little off guard, but I didn't feel like my offer was in any way at risk for doing so. I accepted the offer despite them not raising the bonus and it hasn't seemed to affect my relationship with this partner or with the firm more generally. If I had to do it again, I think I'd talk to my contact in the HR department rather than the partner. I also think I should have left them hanging past their arbitrary "deadline" for acceptance when they didn't move their offer, because after learning more about how the firm operates I think I could have gotten some more money.

Long story short, as long as you're not a jerk I don't think you'll hurt yourself by asking. You are a lawyer. Your job is to advocate for your clients. Think of this as an opportunity to prove you can do so effectively (and without picking fights with opposing counsel).

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Question - Negotiating Signing Bonus for Not using a Legal Recruiter

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:34 pm

OP here.

Wow, thank you for your post - it is very appreciated.

I don't know if asking will be the right or wrong decision, but at least I know from this that it is not completely crazy to try.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:20 am

Any other data points on this?

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any other data points on this?
went from a v5 to v100. there was no signing bonus. they insisted I start in November. I was pushing for January start date so I could pocket my bonus from my prior firm. they insisted they needed someone asap and would not consider a January start date. we settled on 50% of last years bonus for my class year. I used a recruiter for this move as well

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Crap. I lateraled without a recruiter - I should have thought to do this. I just received my full class year bonus as a signing bonus, but that was it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I lateraled about a year ago from one v10 to another v10, I also didn't use a recruiter. I was offered a bonus of about 12.5% of salary and tried to negotiate it up to 25% of salary. There was already a signing bonus on the table, so this is a slightly different situation, but hopefully this is a useful data point. I had a job I liked well enough so I wasn't too concerned about any risk of the offer being pulled, but in retrospect I think that risk is pretty low if you're professional. I phrased it as "I think this is what market is because I'm not using a recruiter and I'm trying to get market." I think this was an effective way to be nonconfrontational while still advocating for myself.

It didn't work and I got the sense I caught the partner a little off guard, but I didn't feel like my offer was in any way at risk for doing so. I accepted the offer despite them not raising the bonus and it hasn't seemed to affect my relationship with this partner or with the firm more generally. If I had to do it again, I think I'd talk to my contact in the HR department rather than the partner. I also think I should have left them hanging past their arbitrary "deadline" for acceptance when they didn't move their offer, because after learning more about how the firm operates I think I could have gotten some more money.

Long story short, as long as you're not a jerk I don't think you'll hurt yourself by asking. You are a lawyer. Your job is to advocate for your clients. Think of this as an opportunity to prove you can do so effectively (and without picking fights with opposing counsel).
I'm the person who posted this. I forgot to add that they also guaranteed a full year bonus at the market scale even though I lateraled part of the way through the year, and that this was cited as a reason they were not moving. When you lateral, even if you don't get a signing bonus, make sure they guarantee your annual bonus will not be pro rated otherwise it will cost you money to move.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 pm

I just lateraled from mid-law to v50 without a recruiter. No signing bonus. I asked, and was denied. I did not feel that my offer was in danger at any point. My year-end bonus will not be pro-rated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”