3L law student with a job accepted post-graduation, but looking to apply to another firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L law student with a job accepted post-graduation, but looking to apply to another firm

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 pm

I am a 3L student graduating in May, and have already accepted a job at a midsize law firm. However, an opportunity has come up where one of the top BigLaw firms is looking for 3Ls to apply to its firm to fill some open first-year associate positions.

My question is how harmful would it be to my career and risky would it be for me to apply to this BigLaw job opening, and if given an offer, accepting a position at this BigLaw firm, when I have already accepted a position at another firm? (If accepting an offer at the BigLaw firm, this would mean I would have to renege my original acceptance at the midsize firm)

As a brief background that may help with answering this question, the midsize firm at which I have already accepted a position does not seem to be doing very well. Many partners and associates have left, and it seems as though they have or are going to be losing a major client; so my decision would turn not only on the attractiveness of the opportunity at the BigLaw firm, but my apprehension about the stability of the job I have already accepted at the midsize firm.

I would appreciate any feedback and thoughts on recommendations and consequences of a decision going either way.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 3L law student with a job accepted post-graduation, but looking to apply to another firm

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 pm

If this is in the same city, may be risky, depending on the size of the city. People talk. You don’t want to be known as the associate that reneged last minute before you even start.

If a different city, go for it. They’d rescind you in a heartbeat so don’t feel bad.

There’s also a chance you don’t even get an interview. Just apply and see what happens.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”