Planning to give a three week notice in three weeks (big law) and was just asked to take on a new project Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Planning to give a three week notice in three weeks (big law) and was just asked to take on a new project

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Don’t want to give notice yet but also don’t really want to start something and then peace out on people. I have a one week vacation scheduled in two weeks, with the plan being to give notice on my return.

Thoughts? Not sure I have any option beyond taking on the new assignment and then giving the quick notice.

Barrred

Bronze

Re: Planning to give a three week notice in three weeks (big law) and was just asked to take on a new project

Post by Barrred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Depends on how assignments are handled at your firm, obviously, but cant you just respond that you don't anticipate having enough bandwidth over the short-to-medium term to take on this new project?

Anonymous User

Re: Planning to give a three week notice in three weeks (big law) and was just asked to take on a new project

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Barrred wrote:Depends on how assignments are handled at your firm, obviously, but cant you just respond that you don't anticipate having enough bandwidth over the short-to-medium term to take on this new project?
I kind of do but I guess that’s the sort of white lie I that’s better for the recipient so they don’t have to waste time on boarding me.

I guess I can also spin some of my work that’s continuing until vacation as slightly more intense

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Barrred wrote:Depends on how assignments are handled at your firm, obviously, but cant you just respond that you don't anticipate having enough bandwidth over the short-to-medium term to take on this new project?
I kind of do but I guess that’s the sort of white lie I that’s better for the recipient so they don’t have to waste time on boarding me.

I guess I can also spin some of my work that’s continuing until vacation as slightly more intense
I dont even know if its a white lie--you don't feel comfortable taking on anything else given your expected bandwidth going forward. Thats true. They will appreciate it in a few weeks when you give notice and they understand that you saved them from pointlessly on-boarding you (getting client approval, wasting 5-10 hours explaining shit to you, etc.).

Alternatively, maybe say that you don't feel comfortable taking on anything new given your bandwidth in the next two weeks, given that you have a vacation lined up, but that you will be in a better position after your vacation to assess your workload going forward. Also true. This might be a shittier way to go, because they might try to hold the spot on the matter open for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”