Tax LLM Employer Specifics/Resources Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gatorroll

New

Tax LLM Employer Specifics/Resources

Post by Gatorroll » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:31 pm

I am a graduating 3L that has secured a job for after graduation, but I am virtually certain I will go for a tax LLM in the near future. I want to apply to the top 3 (NYU/Georgetown/UF), but I am wondering if anyone has any information regarding specific employers for the schools. Ideally I would stay in Florida (Miami or Tampa), but if the prospects were significantly better financially I would be completely fine with a larger market. I do not want to commit to a tax LLM program, spend the money, and end up working for a mid size firm comparable to the one I left to do the LLM.

Does anyone know any resources that let me see specifically what firms/consulting gigs/in house/accounting firms are actually hiring students from these schools? Anyone have any insider experience they would please share?

Anonymous User

Re: Tax LLM Employer Specifics/Resources

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:42 am

I got admitted this March and they sent me a prospective student handbook which lists employers. I am pleasantly surprised by the number of employers coming to recruit at NYU.

Asken

New

Post by Asken » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got admitted this March and they sent me a prospective student handbook which lists employers. I am pleasantly surprised by the number of employers coming to recruit at NYU.
Care to elaborate? More than previous years? What type of employers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:52 pm

I graduated from NYU last year. Some employers come to campus without any intention of hiring. We had a handful of firms interview kids and end up not hiring anyone.

Realistically, you will end up at an accounting firm unless you went to a top 20 school or graduate with top grades in the LLM.

lightofurlife

New

Post by lightofurlife » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:11 am

Georgetown and NYU do a joint program, I think it’s called TIP (tax interview program) that typically has big4 accounting firms and some biglaw with a sprinkle of in-house (think amazon)

I think the common consensus is if you couldn’t get biglaw prior to getting your tax LL.M you probably won’t get it after.

I would avoid the debt and only do the program if my employer was paying for it. Accounting and law firms alike will pay for it if they need you to have it, if not, don’t waste your personal money.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Above median (just short of cum laude cutoff) JD from T-14. NYU/GULC Tax LLM next year.

Are there resources specifically to find summer/fall internships? Neither my JD school nor LLM school has been that helpful.

Another question is should I bother taking the bar in February... would it help with job search? I am assuming no since that's after recruiting seasons.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”