Asking for 1 week office transfer as a Summer Associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking for 1 week office transfer as a Summer Associate

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Not your typical question but... I love soccer. A lot. And owing to the fact that the world cup will be this summer, I am really sad that I will be a summer associate and will have to miss the great majority of the games. However, I've had this idea that I wanted to gauge people's opinions on. My firm has a Moscow office, and I've been thinking if I can ask to be transferred there for a week or two. Obviously I would be doing work for the office I'll be summering for, but would physically be in Moscow. This way, I can at least go to a game or two.

I think this wouldn't be too big of an issue as an associate, but do you guys think asking this would be obnoxious for a summer?

Thanks.

Dunnkirk85

New

Re: Asking for 1 week office transfer as a Summer Associate

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 pm

R u kidding lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Unless you manufacture a better reason, certainly too obnoxious to pull off as a summer.

Good luck though — would be fun if you could make it work. Maybe. International and satellite offices sometimes don’t treat their summers as “fun” and it can be more like real work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Dunnkirk85 wrote:R u kidding lol
No. I'm 100% serious lol

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:28 pm

Yea I think you’re probably fine asking this. Most people understand how big a deal the World Cup is, and you would still be working remotely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Find a partner that seems to like soccer and pitch the idea to him or her.

The bigger issue I see here is the whole visa situation. Could you go as a tourist or will you have to get a work visa? Are you going to pay for the visa or do you expect the firm to?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:15 pm

This is a really bad idea. Don't ask, and don't go. It's fine to do as an associate when you already have a workstream lined up, but not as a summer when your entire job is to have people get to know you and like you. And you have limited time to do so.

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:45 pm

clearly this would epic. I can imagine the comments at the coffee machine.

"hey dave, you hear about that summer who pitched Steve an idea to "transfer" to Moscow for a couple weeks to hit up the world cup?"

"lol, kid is a fucken legend. too bad he's getting no offered."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:46 pm

2013 wrote:Find a partner that seems to like soccer and pitch the idea to him or her.

The bigger issue I see here is the whole visa situation. Could you go as a tourist or will you have to get a work visa? Are you going to pay for the visa or do you expect the firm to?
Damn, true! I never even thought it that haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:26 am

The fact you never thought of having a visa concerns me.

Do you even have a passport?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:54 am

RCSOB657 wrote:The fact you never thought of having a visa concerns me.

Haha yes I have a passport and I know what a visa is. I just would have never thought a visa would be an issue if you want to go work at the firm's office in a different country for a week or two. Attorneys go overseas for business trips all the time, and I'm sure if it's a city that the firm has an office in they will go do some work there if necessary. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but it wouldn't seem reasonable to have to get a work visa every time you go overseas for work.

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:59 am

I know you said you're serious, but I still have a hunch this is a flame. In the event you're serious, yikes. Probably one of the dumbest ideas I've seen on TLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:17 am

KM2016 wrote:I know you said you're serious, but I still have a hunch this is a flame. In the event you're serious, yikes. Probably one of the dumbest ideas I've seen on TLS.
Haha 100% serious. I had a hunch this was how people would react and that this would be ridiculous to try to even pull off. But on the other side soccer is just bigger than life for me. And for billions of people around the world. I've watched the world cup every single time since I was a kid and it's always been my dream to go to the world cup. Actually, for most countries other than the US, the world cup is almost like a month-long festival for everyone (at least for countries playing in it). I've spent time outside the US during world cups and it's almost like everything shuts down just for the games. I know team USA didn't make it and people don't like soccer that much in the US... but would it really be THAT ridiculous to skip a week out of 2+ months of the summer to attend a once-every 4 year event?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:35 am

Sinatra wrote:clearly this would epic. I can imagine the comments at the coffee machine.

"hey dave, you hear about that summer who pitched Steve an idea to "transfer" to Moscow for a couple weeks to hit up the world cup?"

"lol, kid is a fucken legend. too bad he's getting no offered."
Lol this.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
KM2016 wrote:I know you said you're serious, but I still have a hunch this is a flame. In the event you're serious, yikes. Probably one of the dumbest ideas I've seen on TLS.
Haha 100% serious. I had a hunch this was how people would react and that this would be ridiculous to try to even pull off. But on the other side soccer is just bigger than life for me. And for billions of people around the world. I've watched the world cup every single time since I was a kid and it's always been my dream to go to the world cup. Actually, for most countries other than the US, the world cup is almost like a month-long festival for everyone (at least for countries playing in it). I've spent time outside the US during world cups and it's almost like everything shuts down just for the games. I know team USA didn't make it and people don't like soccer that much in the US... but would it really be THAT ridiculous to skip a week out of 2+ months of the summer to attend a once-every 4 year event?
You keep looking for validation that it's not a bad idea. I think it's bad though. Sure, you could ask and it could totally work out with the right partner(s) and a facilitative hiring partner. The problem is that many partners and senior associates will be made aware of this request, and I, like many here, think it is an unnecessarily risky idea. Of course, if you cannot live with yourself otherwise, go for it. But again, to echo previous posters, you only have a limited amount of time to forge relationships with attorneys over the summer. Also, the whole "work remotely" thing is kinda funny, as you will not be doing real substantive work over the summer. The whole idea is for the firm to see you in its office environment with its attorneys, etc.

tl;dr

Don't ask

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:46 am

One of the associates in my year is Brazilian. He hasn’t gone on vacation for more than six months to save up both days and, more importantly, capital to spend with partners. He is already arranging coverage months in advance to be safe. He is, rather ostentatiously, Brazilian, which helps everyone understand why soccer is so important to him.

He is still nervous about going and whether partners will judge.

Don’t be an schmuck. You’re a summer, which means you’re on an extended, albeit cushy, job interview. You don’t take vacay or ask for favors as a summer.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Haha yes I have a passport and I know what a visa is. I just would have never thought a visa would be an issue if you want to go work at the firm's office in a different country for a week or two. Attorneys go overseas for business trips all the time, and I'm sure if it's a city that the firm has an office in they will go do some work there if necessary. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but it wouldn't seem reasonable to have to get a work visa every time you go overseas for work.

It might not be an issue, but it's country specific. You're not talking about the UK or Bahamas dude. Getting even a 90 day work visa and work permit can take 6 months or more. This requires a lot of paperwork from you AND your employer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:56 am

I mean damn dude, even if you just want a tourist visa, you'd need to apply at least 30 days out. You can't get one in Russia.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Another thing, those attorneys either have multiple entry, several year long visas, or they have residence permits and/or other exceptions.......dude.....just take your summer, do well, get offered, make money, and fucking go later.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:27 pm

On the off chance that you are not a troll - there is a time and a place for everything. This is neither the time, nor the place for such a request. As others have pointed out, you're on a very cushy extended job interview this summer. It's your job to get people to like you so that you'll get an offer. Making a request like this isn't going to help you achieve that goal.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the 2026 World Cup might be in North America. Wait to go in 2026.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:19 pm

If you really are that dedicated, pay for your own trip to Moscow. The firm absolutely will not cover this trip for you to watch football.

However, it would be really entertaining for this forum if you actually tried it. Please live blog if you do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:29 pm

jhett wrote:If you really are that dedicated, pay for your own trip to Moscow. The firm absolutely will not cover this trip for you to watch football.

However, it would be really entertaining for this forum if you actually tried it. Please live blog if you do.
Honestly, above the law might pay you to try pulling this. Granted, it will end your reputation before you even had time to make one, but it would be hilarious

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Here is my view: If you wanted to ask if you could start a week or two late/finish a week or two early because you have a personal commitment, that's not ideal but is probably fine (especially if only one week). Asking your firm to subsidize your trip to the World Cup by letting you work in their Moscow office is a terrible, terrible idea. It's also much more complicated to get a work visa for this than you might think. (I worked on a matter that required frequent travel to an EU country and the visa process was a huge pain - I think Russia would be nightmarish.)

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:22 pm

I'm a little more cavalier than most re: this kind of stuff, but also think this is a poor idea, even if at a 100% offer firm. I see two options. One, you could end your SA early. Two, some firms give summers a couple of vacation days. If yours is one of those, you could hypothetically use those days the week of July 4 and play hookie remotely for the day or two you're not "on vacay," and be able to spend 8/9 days there. Depending on the firm, solid chance nobody is going to notice an AWOL summer associate on a Friday. High risk, high reward move that I wouldn't necessarily advise (and you'd have to do a social media/friend blackout about said trip), but one could plausibly pull this off.

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:28 pm

I don't understand why you feel the need to physically attend this World Cup of all World Cups. You won't be doing any work as a summer. You'll be able to watch it in the office/after work with co-workers (I'm sure there are other people in the office who want to watch). Wait until 2022 if you really want to go in person.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”