DHS ICE OPLA Attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DHS ICE OPLA Attorney

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 pm

I just passed the background check to be an assistant chief counsel for DHS, ICE, OPLA. I was curious what type of cases I will be working on, and everyday life of an OPLA attorney.

Anonymous User

Re: DHS ICE OPLA Attorney

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 pm

You'll be in Immigration Court advocating for the deportation of all sorts of people. Generally you're just kind of a cog in an endless machine of resetting cases for the next "Mass Cal" or arguing about whether stealing candy bars is a crime of moral turpitude.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 pm

I interviewed w/ ICE too in January, do you mind sharing what office you'll be working at?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed w/ ICE too in January, do you mind sharing what office you'll be working at?
I won't say exactly what office, but I'm with one of the west-side offices. What about you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:59 pm

No problem but I assume by “west side” you mean west coast haha, I interviewed in the Midwest. Congrats on getting the job!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:48 am

Just curious what inspires someone to want to join DHS ICE etc.? Do you think you can make a difference from the inside vis prosecutorial discretion or are you just a bad person?

ljc1863

New

Post by ljc1863 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious what inspires someone to want to join DHS ICE etc.? Do you think you can make a difference from the inside vis prosecutorial discretion or are you just a bad person?
I’m interested in ICE because I’m interested in national security law and helping to keep our country safe. If that makes anyone would like to work for the government a bad person in your opinion, I’m sorry to hear it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:56 am

Yes, the job is largely conducting deportation proceedings that can range from murderers to DUIs, writing response motions, immigration appeals, etc.

Other parts of the job include national security (extraditing terrorists), human rights abuses (extraditing war criminals), homeland security investigations (I heard it's largely targeting human trafficking), writing memos for Congress (not sure how true this is), employment law, cyber security law, collateral opportunities to the USAO, etc etc etc. Your duties can vary.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:41 am

Do people who have other options but are actively wanting to be ICE attorneys in the current administration believe in what the agency is doing and, if so, do you realize you're a bad person? I mean if you want to be an ICE attorney you already must be a pretty shitty human, but it's possible you could be lying to yourself about changing something from the inside

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hoosier2

New

Post by Hoosier2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:12 am

Don’t agree politically = bad person? Sounds like a winning argument.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:48 am

Hoosier2 wrote:Don’t agree politically = bad person? Sounds like a winning argument.
Yeah because breaking up families and shitting on the poor is sooo christian

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:57 am

minnbills wrote:
Hoosier2 wrote:Don’t agree politically = bad person? Sounds like a winning argument.

Some of the worst people I know are christians. Some of the best people I know are atheists. Not really sure why you introduced that here, unless it was sarcasm I missed or something.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious what inspires someone to want to join DHS ICE etc.? Do you think you can make a difference from the inside vis prosecutorial discretion or are you just a bad person?

Great use of anon, btw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:29 pm

minnbills wrote:
Is every defense attorney who defends a rapist a scumbag also, in your view? Intuitively, a rapist strikes me as blatantly worse than an ice agent (but maybe that’s just me). Using your logic, wouldn’t that make any attorney who reps a company that does something that doesn’t line up with your liberal view of social Justice a scumbag also? Does everybody who doesn’t do some aclu-type PI deserve to burn?

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with you about whether what ice does is good or bad...I’m just trying to get to the heart of your rationale for calling OP a scumbag.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Take this debate to the lounge. This has nothing to do with what OP asked.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:13 pm

I have a friend of a friend who does this in California. Basically, your arguing for the deportation of individuals in immigration court. She sounded pretty miserable, but it pays up to GS-15 I believe, and most nonsupervisory attorney jobs max out at GS-14.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:08 pm

abogadesq wrote:I have a friend of a friend who does this in California. Basically, your arguing for the deportation of individuals in immigration court. She sounded pretty miserable, but it pays up to GS-15 I believe, and most nonsupervisory attorney jobs max out at GS-14.
Any idea how much discretion she has to be like nah I’m gonna assent to this one and let this guy stay, similar to state prosecutors in many jurisdictions?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:38 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
abogadesq wrote:I have a friend of a friend who does this in California. Basically, your arguing for the deportation of individuals in immigration court. She sounded pretty miserable, but it pays up to GS-15 I believe, and most nonsupervisory attorney jobs max out at GS-14.
Any idea how much discretion she has to be like nah I’m gonna assent to this one and let this guy stay, similar to state prosecutors in many jurisdictions?
Maybe I can answer this. I was a former DHS attorney and state prosecutor. A DHS attorney's discretion was highly dependent on each local office. For our office (a progressive city), we had a lot of discretion; more than the state prosecutor's office. We would only remove someone from the United States when they were a real danger to the public (gang members, war criminals, etc.) We did everything in our power to keep families together, especially if they were not a danger to society, and really the culture of our office was to prevent such things from happening.

As another poster mentioned, while immigration work is a bulk of your work, you are working on various other things too: HSI, USAO, National Security, and Human Rights Abuses.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Maybe I can answer this. I was a former DHS attorney and state prosecutor. A DHS attorney's discretion was highly dependent on each local office. For our office (a progressive city), we had a lot of discretion; more than the state prosecutor's office. We would only remove someone from the United States when they were a real danger to the public (gang members, war criminals, etc.) We did everything in our power to keep families together, especially if they were not a danger to society, and really the culture of our office was to prevent such things from happening.

As another poster mentioned, while immigration work is a bulk of your work, you are working on various other things too: HSI, USAO, National Security, and Human Rights Abuses.
Anon, what do you do now? What are some common exit options for this position?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:01 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

I am a prosecutor again, but for the city. But that was because I never wanted to be a DHS attorney, and so I aimed to apply for different prosecutorial positions.

Most people are lifers. Most came from other fed agencies, former immigration defense attorneys, and some came from DA offices/biglaw. Some people go on to become DAs, and others get hired with the agencies they detail at (AUSA, and there was an agency dealing with human rights in DC, and many others.) A lot of people go on to become immigration defense attorneys and immigration judges.

If you're just starting out as a DHS attorney, I would try to work with the national security unit, human rights unit, homeland security investigations, or the USAO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Question for OP and those that have worked as an ACC- what was it like maintaining the security clearance? How constantly are they monitoring you? For example, if you get a speeding ticket or minor criminal violation will this be something that is brought to their attention immediately? For the random drug testing, is this like a professional sports league where they pop in at random dates/times to drug test you? Or is this more like a once every 10 years kind of review thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:10 pm

bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm

2bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:54 am

Anyone here heard about DHS Honors Program offers being made to finalists?

forthecause

New

Post by forthecause » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:01 pm
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

I am a prosecutor again, but for the city. But that was because I never wanted to be a DHS attorney, and so I aimed to apply for different prosecutorial positions.

Most people are lifers. Most came from other fed agencies, former immigration defense attorneys, and some came from DA offices/biglaw. Some people go on to become DAs, and others get hired with the agencies they detail at (AUSA, and there was an agency dealing with human rights in DC, and many others.) A lot of people go on to become immigration defense attorneys and immigration judges.

If you're just starting out as a DHS attorney, I would try to work with the national security unit, human rights unit, homeland security investigations, or the USAO.
How exactly do you go about getting to focus on HSI / natl sec / trafficking while at DHS? Are those even OPLA? Do you join OPLA and then just try to volunteer for certain cases? Or what? Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”