NYC to 200k Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYC to 200k

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone have an update on progress at BSF?
bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm

So Kasowitz upping the scale by $5k for all class years...

Do they typically pay above market? I assume they will just sit as an outlier above market, and their raise will not actually affect the Milbank/STB/Cravath scale.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So Kasowitz upping the scale by $5k for all class years...

Do they typically pay above market? I assume they will just sit as an outlier above market, and their raise will not actually affect the Milbank/STB/Cravath scale.
No. They didn't pay bonuses so total comp will be less this year. That said, I think base salary is an issue that looms larger in recruiting (outside of firms who have established a track record of above-market bonuses), so I highly doubt Kasowitz will sit at the top of the pile for long.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No. They didn't pay bonuses so total comp will be less this year. That said, I think base salary is an issue that looms larger in recruiting (outside of firms who have established a track record of above-market bonuses), so I highly doubt Kasowitz will sit at the top of the pile for long.
I agree with you that the bonuses not being paid out makes this less of a truly "above market" firm. But, if you're a 1st or 2nd year only making $5k-7.5k in summer bonus anyway, and will be at your firm for at least 2 more years, you probably still come out ahead on the Kasowitz scale, even factoring in time value of money.

Stay 3 years at the firm and you're safely ahead at Kasowitz, UNLESS firms continue to do summer bonuses (seems unlikely) and Kasowitz continues not to do summer bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I agree with you that the bonuses not being paid out makes this less of a truly "above market" firm. But, if you're a 1st or 2nd year only making $5k-7.5k in summer bonus anyway, and will be at your firm for at least 2 more years, you probably still come out ahead on the Kasowitz scale, even factoring in time value of money.

Stay 3 years at the firm and you're safely ahead at Kasowitz, UNLESS firms continue to do summer bonuses (seems unlikely) and Kasowitz continues not to do summer bonuses.
Quoted Anon. I agree. That's why I was saying base comp is more important in recruiting. I meant to suggest that I believe firms will match. Sorry if unclear

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lit is red hot right now. Kasowitz is reflecting that. Its also why I have some hope that Boies will (eventually, belatedly) boost salaries back above market

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:25 pm

I agree that this is a weird and interesting move by Kasowitz. Although I'd love for the rest to match, I tend to think that the way this plays out is everyone says, "If $3K post-tax tips you to Kasowitz over STB/DPW/CSM, fine, go." Then, over time, gradually Kasowitz starts paying under-market bonuses and says, "Hey, our bases are higher, so this is even." Note that it's only Kasowitz NY. I doubt this drives another round of matches.

Maybe if Boies matched Kasowitz nationally, we'd see another round of raises.

Would love for someone to tell me why I'm wrong, tho.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:20 pm

NYC TO 195!!! IT'S TIME TO RIOT FOLKS

Stop coming up with these TTT loser reasons why no one's going to match Kasowitz and start lobbying and dialing numbers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I agree that this is a weird and interesting move by Kasowitz. Although I'd love for the rest to match, I tend to think that the way this plays out is everyone says, "If $3K post-tax tips you to Kasowitz over STB/DPW/CSM, fine, go." Then, over time, gradually Kasowitz starts paying under-market bonuses and says, "Hey, our bases are higher, so this is even." Note that it's only Kasowitz NY. I doubt this drives another round of matches.

Maybe if Boies matched Kasowitz nationally, we'd see another round of raises.

Would love for someone to tell me why I'm wrong, tho.
would love for someone to explain how Boies hasn't raised yet

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:18 pm

What you're saying is obviously a possible outcome, but I have trouble imagining that's how it works out. Even if STB/DPW/CSM don't feel they have to compete, some firms will feel they have to, and that can cascade up the ladder. While firms might try to sell on total comp, absent a couple years of bonuses to go off of after this new pay structure, that would not go very far with me, particularly if i were a 2L going through OCI (and therefore unable to benefit from bonuses for at least a couple years), and particularly when plenty of Kasowitz's peers have hours requirements for bonuses. The guaranteed comp is king.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I worked for a super high ppp firm that cut corners on everything, including finding ways to deny comp. Both no bonus and holding people a year back in salary, but not necessarily billing rate. It happens, and it’s awful on the associate side.
Name the firm. You're anonymous.
Not OP but Fenwick also does this, and its arbitrary tier/level system virtually guarantees some people get held back a year. Bonuses are often below market too, so total comp easily falls $50-70k or more below market for mid-levels.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Man it's quiet. Is that a wrap on raises? I can't believe 30+ firms in the top 200 haven't moved yet. Even if it's not a full match, make some sort of move. These guys are going to get left in the dust come OCI.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Man it's quiet. Is that a wrap on raises? I can't believe 30+ firms in the top 200 haven't moved yet. Even if it's not a full match, make some sort of move. These guys are going to get left in the dust come OCI.
It's their funeral.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Man it's quiet. Is that a wrap on raises? I can't believe 30+ firms in the top 200 haven't moved yet. Even if it's not a full match, make some sort of move. These guys are going to get left in the dust come OCI.
Not to mention Kasowitz now pays more in guaranteed comp than the vast majority of these firms. One-time bonuses mean little at the lower levels where Kasowitz's higher base evens it out in total comp (and ultimately will exceed over time) I guess young associates are happy with a pat on the head from their "superior" firms. We'll see if 2Ls and 3Ls are as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:53 pm

malibustacy wrote:
It's their funeral.
Idk. I work at a v50-100 firm. Took my firm a while to match 180 (more than a few months) because we have a lot of offices in non-major markets, so it took them a while to figure out the new scale for them. Not an excuse, but some of the v100 may run into that problem.

That aside, my firm still hasnt matched 190 in major markets. Fully expect them to in the next 4-6 months, but it sucks waiting. I imagine the same issue is happening again, i.e. how to do we the non-major market associates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Not to mention Kasowitz now pays more in guaranteed comp than the vast majority of these firms. One-time bonuses mean little at the lower levels where Kasowitz's higher base evens it out in total comp (and ultimately will exceed over time) I guess young associates are happy with a pat on the head from their "superior" firms. We'll see if 2Ls and 3Ls are as well.
No one at a white shoe v20 gives two shits if Kasowitz pays $5k above market

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, I’ve spent 5+ years in biglaw and people generally see Kasowitz as kind of a joke. Beyond me why somebody would want to go work there. No associate or law student in their right mind would choose Kasowitz over DPW, STB, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, I’ve spent 5+ years in biglaw and people generally see Kasowitz as kind of a joke. Beyond me why somebody would want to go work there. No associate or law student in their right mind would choose Kasowitz over DPW, STB, etc.
that firm that pays 5k more than us? what a JOKE!

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Very hot take.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 am

malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Very hot take.
+1

Why is Kasowitz a joke and who are the people who think it's a joke?

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What other BigLaw firms take Touro students?*

*true in at least one case

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Very hot take.
+1

I don't have a dog in this fight, but probably doesn't help that the founding & name partner acted like a total and incompetent ass for Trump for a good while, all while threatening several baseless lawsuits.

The revenue is also a lot lower than the traditional powerhouse white shoe Wall Street firms.There are Kansas City firms stylin' on Kasowitz's revenue.
Last edited by deadpanic on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Very hot take.
+1

How else is someone who isn't actually remarkable supposed to feel superior?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Very hot take.
+1

How else is someone who isn't actually remarkable supposed to feel superior?
Can't tell who this is supposed to make fun of. Unremarkable but feeling superior is basically Marc Kasowitz in a nutshell.

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:27 pm

The man, a retired public relations professional in the western United States who asked not to be identified, read ProPublica’s story this week on Kasowitz and sent the lawyer an email with the subject line: “Resign Now.’’

Kasowitz replied with series of angry messages sent between 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time. One read: “I’m on you now. You are fucking with me now Let’s see who you are Watch your back , bitch.”

In another email, Kasowitz wrote: “Call me. Don’t be afraid, you piece of shit. Stand up. If you don’t call, you’re just afraid.” And later: “I already know where you live, I’m on you. You might as well call me. You will see me. I promise. Bro.”
https://www.propublica.org/article/marc ... ils-maddow

But that’s all in the past. I for one welcome our new market leader.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”