NYC to 200k Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYC to 200k

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2 ... 389-34107/

Looks like we may see a new scale soon. Will other firms match?
Can you screenshot? Can't read it.
just read it in incognito mode

anyway, this is just pure trolling by that anon, because the article is just about susman saying they'll probably exceed the scale (they were already at 190 prior to milbank/cravath raising to 190)

no regular firms are going to follow susman
Also pure trolling by Susman. Susman's bonuses are above market, but its base salaries are not. They currently pay 190K (10K "above" the old market scale) for associates right out of law school--but the catch is that they don't have any associates right out of law school. Everyone has to clerk for a year. Second years get paid 190K, which is the same as the old market scale. They get to claim that they pay first years above market without actually paying any first years.

https://www.susmangodfrey.com/careers/attorneys/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:34 am

Guys it’s been two whole weeks. I’m beginning to think the feds aren’t matching milBANK? Please someone tell I’m wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Curious on people's thoughts about the Boston market. Here's Vault rankings (T20) with match status:

Ropes - full match
WH - ___
Goodwin - full match
Choate - ___
Skadden - full match
foley hoag* - ___
Mintz - ___
Fish - ___
Latham - ___
Proskauer - Milbank only
Weil - full match
Goulston* - ___
Cooley - ___
Nutter* - ___
MLB - full match
JD - clusterfuck
Nixon - ___
K&L (??) - ___
McDermott - ___
HK* - ___

There's a lot of unknowns. First, all the starred firms already don't pay market (or start at $180 and don't pay market later on/don't list midlevel comp). Thoughts on if they'll raise (probably not $190, but maybe something in between?)? Some firms like Goulston and HK only list first year comp. Will they raise first years again?

Second, more broadly, if firms don't, I'm wondering whether the more national firms that have moved in (e.g., K&E, Hogan, Quinn, etc.) are going to see that as an opportunity to rope in more of the highly qualified associates?

EDITED: To clear Nixon's good name... LOL
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious on people's thoughts about the Boston market. Here's Vault rankings (T20) with match status:

Ropes - full match
WH - ___
Goodwin - full match
Choate - ___
Skadden - full match
Foley Hoag* - ___
Mintz - ___
Fish - ___
Latham - ___
Proskauer - Milbank only
Weil - full match
Goulston* - ___
Cooley - ___
Nutter* - ___
MLB - full match
JD - clusterfuck
Nixon* - ___
K&L (??) - ___
McDermott - ___
HK* - ___

There's a lot of unknowns. First, all the starred firms already don't pay market (or start at $180 and don't pay market later on/don't list midlevel comp). Thoughts on if they'll raise (probably not $190, but maybe something in between?)? Some firms like Goulston and HK only list first year comp. Will they raise first years again?

Second, more broadly, if firms don't, I'm wondering whether the more national firms that have moved in (e.g., K&E, Hogan, Quinn, etc.) are going to see that as an opportunity to rope in more of the highly qualified associates?
FYI I believe Nixon pays 180 now. They do in the other major market offices and believe they do in Boston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: There's a lot of unknowns. First, all the starred firms already don't pay market (or start at $180 and don't pay market later on/don't list midlevel comp). Thoughts on if they'll raise (probably not $190, but maybe something in between?)? Some firms like Goulston and HK only list first year comp. Will they raise first years again?

FYI I believe Nixon pays 180 now. They do in the other major market offices and believe they do in Boston.
See above - can you confirm they pay midlevels market?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: There's a lot of unknowns. First, all the starred firms already don't pay market (or start at $180 and don't pay market later on/don't list midlevel comp). Thoughts on if they'll raise (probably not $190, but maybe something in between?)? Some firms like Goulston and HK only list first year comp. Will they raise first years again?

See above - can you confirm they pay midlevels market?
I believe they do

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I believe they do
Fixed it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious on people's thoughts about the Boston market. Here's Vault rankings (T20) with match status:

Ropes - full match
WH - ___
Goodwin - full match
Choate - ___
Skadden - full match
Foley Hoag* - ___
Mintz - ___
Fish - ___
Latham - ___
Proskauer - Milbank only
Weil - full match
Goulston* - ___
Cooley - ___
Nutter* - ___
MLB - full match
JD - clusterfuck
Nixon - ___
K&L (??) - ___
McDermott - ___
HK* - ___

My guess is Wilmer, Cooley, Choate and Latham all match early next week. All their peer firms have matched...so too much risk not to. Choate may not want to, but with K&E in town now they will. Fish is probably in this group as well, but I don’t know as much about them. It’s not on your list, but I imagine Gunderson will match as well (if they already haven’t - I just haven’t seen it). Of all the tech firms (WSGR, Latham, Goodwin, Fenwick, Cooley, GD), I think Gunderson is most likely not to match given their client base, but I would still be surprised if they didn’t.

Nutter and foley hoag may bump a bit but won’t full market match. Nutter will likely stand mostly still, Foley may increase first year pay, but will likely keep seniors and mid levels mostly flat, which seems like a terrible idea, but it’s in line with what they did in 2016. Not sure what Ghoulston did in 2016, but considering they’re a little more nichey (and elite in their RE niche), they may not feel like they need to keep up with Ropes, Goodwin, Skadden, etc.

I could see Mintz not matching, or at least not a full match. Same thing with Nixon. I wonder if they decide it’s not worth keeping up with the rat race this time. I would imagine Brown Ruddnick is in that group as well.

The rest (H&K, K&L, McDermott) I have no idea on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My guess is Wilmer, Cooley, Choate and Latham all match early next week. All their peer firms have matched...so too much risk not to. Choate may not want to, but with K&E in town now they will. Fish is probably in this group as well, but I don’t know as much about them. It’s not on your list, but I imagine Gunderson will match as well (if they already haven’t - I just haven’t seen it). Of all the tech firms (WSGR, Latham, Goodwin, Fenwick, Cooley, GD), I think Gunderson is most likely not to match given their client base, but I would still be surprised if they didn’t.
I would assume Gunderson will 100% match. They were the first mover nationwide to 135k I believe back in the day, and they see themselves as peers of Cooley/F&W/WSGR in SV

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Thoughts on whether Proskauer will announce a bonus match?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Ropes - full match
WH - ___
Goodwin - full match
Choate - ___
Skadden - full match
Foley Hoag* - ___
Mintz - ___
Fish - ___
Latham - ___
Proskauer - Milbank only
Weil - full match
Goulston* - ___
Cooley - ___
Nutter* - ___
MLB - full match
JD - clusterfuck
Nixon - ___
K&L (??) - ___
McDermott - ___
HK* - ___

Nutter and Foley Hoag may bump a bit but won’t full market match. Nutter will likely stand mostly still, Foley may increase first year pay, but will likely keep seniors and mid levels mostly flat, which seems like a terrible idea, but it’s in line with what they did in 2016. Not sure what Ghoulston did in 2016, but considering they’re a little more nichey (and elite in their RE niche), they may not feel like they need to keep up with Ropes, Goodwin, Skadden, etc.

I could see Mintz not matching, or at least not a full match. Same thing with Nixon. I wonder if they decide it’s not worth keeping up with the rat race this time. I would imagine Brown Ruddnick is in that group as well.

Did Nixon Peabody recently raise to 180k? As of 2017, it was still paying 160k in major markets, to my knowledge. News to me. Also, they had a range for midlevel pay at that point. I know a few people there and they weren’t happy during the initial salary raises in 2016 and they were still planning to lateral to market firms in 2017 because of it.

Choate will probably match. Fish will probably match (it is the top IP firm in the country).

I can’t see HK matching. It’s based in Miami and the threat for Miami seems to say that it won’t raise there. I can’t see the firm justifying paying
Boston associates 30k more than associates in its home base. And it was a very late mover to 180k in major markets to begin with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ropes - full match
WH - ___
Goodwin - full match
Choate - ___
Skadden - full match
Foley Hoag* - ___
Mintz - ___
Fish - ___
Latham - ___
Proskauer - Milbank only
Weil - full match
Goulston* - ___
Cooley - ___
Nutter* - ___
MLB - full match
JD - clusterfuck
Nixon - ___
K&L (??) - ___
McDermott - ___
HK* - ___

Nutter and Foley Hoag may bump a bit but won’t full market match. Nutter will likely stand mostly still, Foley may increase first year pay, but will likely keep seniors and mid levels mostly flat, which seems like a terrible idea, but it’s in line with what they did in 2016. Not sure what Ghoulston did in 2016, but considering they’re a little more nichey (and elite in their RE niche), they may not feel like they need to keep up with Ropes, Goodwin, Skadden, etc.

Did Nixon Peabody recently raise to 180k? As of 2017, it was still paying 160k in major markets, to my knowledge. News to me. Also, they had a range for midlevel pay at that point. I know a few people there and they weren’t happy during the initial salary raises in 2016 and they were still planning to lateral to market firms in 2017 because of it.

Choate will probably match. Fish will probably match (it is the top IP firm in the country).

I can’t see HK matching. It’s based in Miami and the threat for Miami seems to say that it won’t raise there. I can’t see the firm justifying paying
Boston associates 30k more than associates in its home base. And it was a very late mover to 180k in major markets to begin with.
I know from someone there that Nixon raised to 180 in at least 2 major markets so I assume they did in Boston given its their HQ. They were certainly a slow mover to 180, but have matched that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Fingers crossed for SV firms to move tomorrow

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fingers crossed for SV firms to move tomorrow
WSGR moved on Friday so you'd probably expect Cooley to follow pretty quickly. I think Cooley actually moved first amongst the SV firms last time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Thoughts on whether California firms like Pillsbury will match and when ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Anyone heard of match activity at one of the above/off-market scale comp firms (Wachtell, Boies Schiller, Willims & Connolly?).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard of match activity at one of the above/off-market scale comp firms (Wachtell, Boies Schiller, Willims & Connolly?).
Wachtell never matched 180k because their comp was already higher. The same is true for the new scale. No need to send out a memo when all associates already get paid well above-market.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am

Are all you Covington associates still going to vote Eric Holder 2020 if Covington doesn't match?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:48 am

Nothing like spending your Monday morning watching bar prep videos x2 and waiting for your firm to match

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 am

This thread is dying people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:This thread is dying people.
Cuz it's only followed by people at firms that haven't matched.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 am

Let’s shame Milbank for trying to swing a big dick but yet still hasn’t matched

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Let’s shame Milbank for trying to swing a big dick but yet still hasn’t matched
Milbank is a grower, not a shower.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:This thread is dying people.
We're like 2 hours into business hours on the East Coast on a Monday, give it some time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Nothing like spending your Monday morning watching bar prep videos x2 and waiting for your firm to match
That was me in 2016, except back then DC matched in a week. Now we're 2 weeks AM (After Milbank) and 1 week AC...

What market you going to?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”