NYC to 200k Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Silver

Re: NYC to 200k

Post by 2013 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:they have taken untold millions that they never toiled to earn
Billions

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:King & Spalding just made an announcement. Free bagels every Friday from now on for everyone with 1,950 billable hours, pro-rated. This does not apply to the Atlanta office, where bagels will be discounted but not free.
Confirmed, with summer bonus of cream cheese. The Atlanta dam has finally broken.
Lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Mayer Brown matched raises and bonuses. you need 1900 prorated hours by the end of June and if you don't hit it now but hit it end of year, they'll include it in your year-end bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown matched raises and bonuses. you need 1900 prorated hours by the end of June and if you don't hit it now but hit it end of year, they'll include it in your year-end bonus.
That sucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown matched raises and bonuses. you need 1900 prorated hours by the end of June and if you don't hit it now but hit it end of year, they'll include it in your year-end bonus.
That sucks.
No it doesn't. 1900 is a crazy low target, and I'm sitting here wishing I get even a shot at a bonus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
No it doesn't. 1900 is a crazy low target, and I'm sitting here wishing I get even a shot at a bonus.
As discussed repeatedly, not having 800 hours prorated in June doesn’t mean you still won’t bill well over 1900 by years end.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
Billable hour requirement sucks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:27 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
As discussed repeatedly, not having 800 hours prorated in June doesn’t mean you still won’t bill well over 1900 by years end.
if u have 1900 by year end, u get the bonus. so what is the issue?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
Same amount of money now is better than that amount of money at the end of the year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
lol have fun at SullCrom with no hous req and also no waking hours outside the office

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
Same amount of money now is better than that amount of money at the end of the year.
no shit. if youre worried about 6 months of interest on your surprise mid year bonus, hit your fucking hours by the end of june.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:39 pm

FYI, Fenwick matched. Bonus contingent on being on pace for 1950+ hours as of 6/30.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
no shit. if youre worried about 6 months of interest on your surprise mid year bonus, hit your fucking hours by the end of june.
Enjoy your billable hour requirement. Enjoy always having those hours in mind and not being able to take vacation with peace of mind.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
lol have fun at SullCrom with no hous req and also no waking hours outside the office
Right? I'm sure most firms without requirements do so because it's next to impossible to not hit 1900 or 2000. Anon(s) that hates billable hours requirements: on average are you below 2k hours at year end?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
Right? I'm sure most firms without requirements do so because it's next to impossible to not hit 1900 or 2000. Anon(s) that hates billable hours requirements: on average are you below 2k hours at year end?
There's a reason why most firms don't have that requirement any more. Too TTT

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks.
Great job answering the question. Arguing that something is TTT is perhaps the best way to counter a logical question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:49 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:A new day for the Wall of Shame.
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Wall of Shame for Firms Yet to Announce:
  • Proskauer ($2.37MM PPP, 27.9% L5Y PPP growth, 2.5 EP:Assoc. leverage)
    Cooley ($2.08MM PPP, 39.4% L5Y PPP growth, 2.4 EP:Assoc. leverage)
    Winston ($2.16MM PPP, 44.8% L5Y PPP growth, 3.2 EP:Assoc. leverage)
    Orrick ($1.86MM PPP, 14.3% L5Y PPP growth, 3.8 EP:Assoc. leverage)
Cooley and Orrick should still be on the wall of shame...they're not paying full summer bonus in the summer. That's not market.

Also, have Proskauer and Winston matched Cravath and Simpson?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Right? I'm sure most firms without requirements do so because it's next to impossible to not hit 1900 or 2000. Anon(s) that hates billable hours requirements: on average are you below 2k hours at year end?
Great job answering the question. Arguing that something is TTT is perhaps the best way to counter a logical question.
You and some folks like billable hour requirements? No problem. Keep loving it!
I wouldn't want it in my life and I am pretty sure many others wouldn't want it. Hence, the trend among major firms has been to move away from that requirement.

https://abovethelaw.com/2017/12/associa ... d-bonuses/

Also, if you are in a firm with an assignment pooling system for juniors, juniors don't have much control over their hours. Still, a 1800 hours target definitely isn't particularly difficult to meet, especially if pro bono or marketing hours are included. But those requirements would still be a source of stress when you have absolutely no control over how much work you get.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:54 pm

i wouldnt say i like the hours requirement. I just objected to someone saying that getting a 20k raise + 15k bonus out of nowhere for doing nothing "sucks"; even if i had to wait until december for the 15k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:57 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any serious thoughts as to why Latham & GDC haven't matched yet?
Latham: they are cheap, and their process for approving raises/bonuses is complicated (and probably also slowed given their current lack of a chairman).

Gibson: they are cheap, and are waiting for Latham to match (which is the only firm they consider a true peer), so they can tell clients that they valiantly resisted raises to the bitter end, but were ultimately forced to match to remain competitive with peer firms.

Neither appears to care about the optics/messaging to current and future associates involved in such a long delay.
Why are Gibson and Latham so similar / Gibson’s only “true competitor”
They're the only California-based V10 firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Right? I'm sure most firms without requirements do so because it's next to impossible to not hit 1900 or 2000. Anon(s) that hates billable hours requirements: on average are you below 2k hours at year end?
I wouldn't want it in my life and I am pretty sure many others wouldn't want it. Hence, the trend among major firms has been to move away from that requirement.

Again, at your firm, that presumably doesn't have requirements, DO YOU NORMALLY HIT 2000 HOURS!?

Maybe you feel differently, but I could care less if there's a requirement if I'm just going to hit it anyway. And many firms with requirements will fudge them if a particular department is not busy enough to support those kind of hours. I'm not saying I love it, I'm just saying does it really make a difference?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Again, at your firm, that presumably doesn't have requirements, DO YOU NORMALLY HIT 2000 HOURS!?

Maybe you feel differently, but I could care less if there's a requirement if I'm just going to hit it anyway. And many firms with requirements will fudge them if a particular department is not busy enough to support those kind of hours. I'm not saying I love it, I'm just saying does it really make a difference?
Some juniors in no-billable requirement firms do hit less than 2000 hours. I have no idea how many precisely. I've heard somebody hitting only 1500 years during his first year and being fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Some juniors in no-billable requirement firms do hit less than 2000 hours. I have no idea how many precisely.

but as a non-junior who is exceeding by 1800 hour requirement by a lot, why do i care?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Some juniors in no-billable requirement firms do hit less than 2000 hours. I have no idea how many precisely.

but as a non-junior who is exceeding by 1800 hour requirement by a lot, why do i care?
Good for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Again, at your firm, that presumably doesn't have requirements, DO YOU NORMALLY HIT 2000 HOURS!?

Good for you.
Dude why are you being so damn evasive. I get that you don't like hours requirements, but we're trying to understand what your reasoning is and how that effects your day to day. Obviously other people on this thread do have those requirements, so we don't know what it's like at your firm. You still haven't answered whether you hit those hours or not, presumably because you do and thus the requirement doesn't change how you bill.

Sure, you might have a point that it's an additional stress that you don't need. And that's a fair argument. But why would you ignore our attempts to understand what's going on at your firm?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”