NYC to 200k Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
5ky

Diamond

Re: NYC to 200k

Post by 5ky » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If it were up to you, what would starting market salaries be for biglaw firms in different markets? Assume NYC stays at $190k.
No
190 NY SF LA Houston Chicago

160 everywhere else, including DC and Boston.
DC is way more expensive than Houston and Chicago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If it were up to you, what would starting market salaries be for biglaw firms in different markets? Assume NYC stays at $190k.
No

Lol nice troll

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No

Yes, but it is mostly lit. Not only that, but law students already want to go there. No reason for it to be included in the top tier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No

Yes, but it is mostly lit. Not only that, but law students already want to go there. No reason for it to be included in the top tier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No

Boston is mostly corporate/PE, tech/IP. So why should it be at 160k? SF and Chicago are probably more desirable cities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No

Boston is mostly corporate/PE, tech/IP. So why should it be at 160k? SF and Chicago are probably more desirable cities.
Obviously that is at least a stronger argument than DC. I can see your point with Boston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No

Obviously that is at least a stronger argument than DC. I can see your point with Boston.
Stop giving them reason to pay us less you fucks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:49 pm

^^^^ scabby tools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:13 pm

NY/SF/Bos: $190k
LA/DC: $175k
Chicago/Philly/TX/Atlanta/PNW/Denver/Miami/Charlotte: $160k

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lmao I'm guessing you live in boston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:30 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NY/SF - 195
Boston/LA/DC/Chicago - 190
Houston/Dallas - 185
Philly/Miami/ATL/Seattle - 175
Denver/Charlotte - 165

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NY/SF - 195
Houston/Dallas - 185
Denver/Charlotte - 165
All markets 200k

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:With Gibson matching the raise and bonus, it won't be long before the rest of the 40 or 50 biggest, best regarded, and most profitable firms get on board. It has been clear, however, for the last two weeks that we would make it here eventually.

With that in mind, I wish I could convey to my firm's management that delaying the eventual, almost inevitable match harms the firm. Of course I want the raise selfishly, to pay off my loans and my mortgage. I also want my firm to stay healthy and at the top of the market. Part of that is continuing to recruit the most promising summer associates and attorneys coming from clerkships. Part of that is keeping associate morale and engagement up. Delaying a match that peer firms (and even less profitable, less well regarded firms) are making is detrimental to both of those.

It is tough for law students and junior attorneys picking one firm from several offers to distinguish those firms. They're on the outside, trying to look in. They can see, even from the outside, salary, bonuses, the terms of those salaries and bonuses, and--of particular relevance now--the extent to which firms appear eager to compensate their associates at the top of the market, or the extent to which they seem eager to avoid doing so.

For associates already at the firm, most work very, very hard for our clients. In doing so, we want to see that we're compenated as well as ours peers at the firms we could have joined. That is particularly true when we see billing rates and profits go up almost every year, while associate salaries stagnate.

If you're going to match the firms moving the market eventually, why not tell the whole legal marketplace that you think you're associates are the best and match the raises sooner, rather than after a weeks long delay? Doing so costs nothing if you're going to match anyway, and it will pay dividends.
Lol absolute top 5 all time Serious Lawyer take flame. Just great. Love that this is definitely a joke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is correct.

The average associate in nyc V5 is not billing 2400 in my experience. As an associate at S&C, we are shown figures by firm management that average associate hours are around 1700-1800 (which is less than average partner billables). I personally billed 1750 as a 3rd year and got full bonus, no comment at all about hours in reviews. This is not atypical. At Skadden I would have gotten no bonus, which would have sucked.

Obviously there are people who get crushed but remember sometimes it’s your fault if you don’t step off the treadmill. Being at a no minimum firm is highly, highly preferable.
I get the feeling that reported averages include laterals, people who took time a large amount of time off (maternity leave or otherwise), people on part time arrangements, etc. Wonder if they even count stub years. I don't think they're at all representative of what a typical associate would bill over the course of 12 months.
This. All my friends at V10s work a lot. Sure they may have an easy year (like Y3 above), but average they are probably all putting in well over 2000 a year. Note how nobody here has stood up and said "I'm at a lockstep bonus no minimum hours firm and regularly billed less than 2k and had no problems with that." Speaks for itself.
My jaw literally dropped when I saw "as an associate at S&C". Everyone I know who went there seems to find it an absolute sweatshop. That's like lifestyle firm hours if real. I demand these posters solemnly swear that they bill less than 2000k or its all an elaborate flame.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NY/SF - 195
Houston/Dallas - 185
Denver/Charlotte - 165
ATL is more expensive than Denver? This is news to me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:19 am

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is correct.

The average associate in nyc V5 is not billing 2400 in my experience. As an associate at S&C, we are shown figures by firm management that average associate hours are around 1700-1800 (which is less than average partner billables). I personally billed 1750 as a 3rd year and got full bonus, no comment at all about hours in reviews. This is not atypical. At Skadden I would have gotten no bonus, which would have sucked.

Obviously there are people who get crushed but remember sometimes it’s your fault if you don’t step off the treadmill. Being at a no minimum firm is highly, highly preferable.
I get the feeling that reported averages include laterals, people who took time a large amount of time off (maternity leave or otherwise), people on part time arrangements, etc. Wonder if they even count stub years. I don't think they're at all representative of what a typical associate would bill over the course of 12 months.
This. All my friends at V10s work a lot. Sure they may have an easy year (like Y3 above), but average they are probably all putting in well over 2000 a year. Note how nobody here has stood up and said "I'm at a lockstep bonus no minimum hours firm and regularly billed less than 2k and had no problems with that." Speaks for itself.
My jaw literally dropped when I saw "as an associate at S&C". Everyone I know who went there seems to find it an absolute sweatshop. That's like lifestyle firm hours if real. I demand these posters solemnly swear that they bill less than 2000k or its all an elaborate flame.
I’m a different anon but also an S&C associate and I can confirm that there are plenty of people billing sub 2000, for several years in a row, with no issues getting bonus. Sure, everyone has months billing 250+, but there are also months that are slow, so it balances it out. I really can’t overstate how important it is to my psyche not to worry about “making hours” for the year. When I’m busy, I’m busy. When I’m slow, I enjoy it for as long as I can, with no worry about bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is correct.

I’m a different anon but also an S&C associate and I can confirm that there are plenty of people billing sub 2000, for several years in a row, with no issues getting bonus. Sure, everyone has months billing 250+, but there are also months that are slow, so it balances it out. I really can’t overstate how important it is to my psyche not to worry about “making hours” for the year. When I’m busy, I’m busy. When I’m slow, I enjoy it for as long as I can, with no worry about bonus.
Lol literally again some anon saying "there are plenty of people" and "I really can't overstate how important it is to my psyche" but not confirming they had multiple years below 2k. I'm starting to think S&C lawyers are either really fucking dumb or fantastic advocates. Hard to tell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:09 am

Good to know Staci takes Fridays off and doesn't update the scorecard. https://abovethelaw.com/2018/06/salary- ... 2018/?rf=1

Meanwhile I'm working and waiting for my raise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Good to know Staci takes Fridays off and doesn't update the scorecard. https://abovethelaw.com/2018/06/salary- ... 2018/?rf=1

Meanwhile I'm working and waiting for my raise.
Which sucks because it seems a half-dozen firms raised on Friday.

thecaliforniakid

New

Post by thecaliforniakid » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Im finishing my clerkship soon and starting at a firm that hasnt matched yet, and its v frustrating

Anyone have thoughts on why clerkship bonuses have remained stagnant for awhile (minus a few firms) even though base salaries continue to rise?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:36 am

thecaliforniakid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Im finishing my clerkship soon and starting at a firm that hasnt matched yet, and its v frustrating

Anyone have thoughts on why clerkship bonuses have remained stagnant for awhile (minus a few firms) even though base salaries continue to rise?
They haven't. Some firms are paying more for CAFC and some firms offer larger bonuses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:45 am

dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NY/SF - 195
Houston/Dallas - 185
Denver/Charlotte - 165
Also about how popular the city is. Don't need to pay people as much to live somewhere everyone wants to live.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NY/SF - 195
Houston/Dallas - 185
Denver/Charlotte - 165
Also about how popular the city is. Don't need to pay people as much to live somewhere everyone wants to live.
Can we just shut the fuck up and stop giving markets an excuse not to move?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NY/SF - 195
Houston/Dallas - 185
Denver/Charlotte - 165
Fuck that. If a Denver associate is bringing in the same revenue as a NYC associate, it's not their fault you live in the most overpriced real estate market in the world. Pay associates what they're worth.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NY/SF - 195
Houston/Dallas - 185
Denver/Charlotte - 165
Fuck that. If a Denver associate is bringing in the same revenue as a NYC associate, it's not their fault you live in the most overpriced real estate market in the world. Pay associates what they're worth.
NY/SF/LA/DC- 190
Boston/Chicago/Houston/Dallas - 180
ATL/Denver/Seattle - 170
Philly/Charlotte/Miami - 160

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”