NYC to 200k Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYC to 200k

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hogan matched, except in Denver, Miami and Minneapolis.
Well that makes for a tough decision for WH. Do they skip just one office?
what is there, ~15 WH associates in denver? seems lame to skip them.

why do all these dc firms have denver offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Hours requirement for bonus definitely blows but given I'm easily above pace to hit bonus, I feel almost no shame in coming in and leaving whenever I want which is nice.

Still, not worth the risk of potentially losing 50k+ as a third year or higher.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hogan matched, except in Denver, Miami and Minneapolis.
Well that makes for a tough decision for WH. Do they skip just one office?
what is there, ~15 WH associates in denver? seems lame to skip them.

why do all these dc firms have denver offices?
I think Wilmer's Denver office also does pretty well, financially. Hogan has a bunch of mid-level markets (e.g., Minneapolis, Baltimore), but Wilmer really only has Denver. Everywhere else is a big market (LA, Palo Alto, Boston, NY, DC). Pretty rough to isolate one office like that.

Of course, this assumes Wilmer ever matches...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:53 pm

There’s nothing about making associates whole who hit hours at the end of the year at Hogan?

Ugh. I’m at one of the other DC firms and it feels increasingly like I’m going to miss out on the bonus by like 20-30 hours because I took vacation in April instead of August this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:55 pm

idk why everyone at these rando firms hasnt been crushing pro bono and whatever other hours they can get for the past like 3 weeks we've been discussing this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:idk why everyone at these rando firms hasnt been crushing pro bono and whatever other hours they can get for the past like 3 weeks we've been discussing this
Right? You can get 20 hours over the weekend ready set go. I'm doing it anyway not by choice (and at a point where I could quit for a month and still be on track). Stop complaining.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:02 pm

time to write that memo on recent development in immigration law. there was just some new supreme court case re asylum or some shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:12 pm

Now that DC firms are matching, Williams & Connolly is officially below market, even for first years. 200 for first years and no bonus. Compared to 190, 10 December bonus, 5 summer bonus at Hogan/Gibson (and soon, Covington, with more DC firms presumably following). I don't know how quickly W&C moves but it seems like they need to remedy that with OCI starting soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Now that DC firms are matching, Williams & Connolly is officially below market, even for first years. 200 for first years and no bonus. Compared to 190, 10 December bonus, 5 summer bonus at Hogan/Gibson (and soon, Covington, with more DC firms presumably following). I don't know how quickly W&C moves but it seems like they need to remedy that with OCI starting soon.
If there's anyone who thinks you can eat preftige, it's W&C.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Now that DC firms are matching, Williams & Connolly is officially below market, even for first years. 200 for first years and no bonus. Compared to 190, 10 December bonus, 5 summer bonus at Hogan/Gibson (and soon, Covington, with more DC firms presumably following). I don't know how quickly W&C moves but it seems like they need to remedy that with OCI starting soon.
December bonus is $15k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If there's anyone who thinks you can eat preftige, it's W&C.
Perhaps so. But they had always paid first through third years above market (even including no bonus). Now...they can't even say that. I would imagine they would raise accordingly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:time to write that memo on recent development in immigration law. there was just some new supreme court case re asylum or some shit.
Ha, yeah fair enough. Not ideal when you don’t know for sure the target you’re trying to hit yet, but doable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:22 pm

should be safe with 50% of your annual

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Aren't "first years" at Williams and Connelly really second or third years because they all come from clerking, but the firm calls them "first years," even though most other firms would bring them in on their class year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Aren't "first years" at Williams and Connelly really second or third years because they all come from clerking, but the firm calls them "first years," even though most other firms would bring them in on their class year?
Not from what my W&C friend says. There are no "first years" on their scale since they almost all clerk. People come in as second or third years. For instance, C/o '17 people who are clerking now but starting in the fall will start as second years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Aren't "first years" at Williams and Connelly really second or third years because they all come from clerking, but the firm calls them "first years," even though most other firms would bring them in on their class year?
No, you're thinking of Susman
W&C always has at least one "true" first year each year who doesn't ever clerk. And they often have a few more who work at the firm for a year before their first clerkship. So there are currently "first years" from the class of 2017 making 200k, "second years" from the class of 2016 making 230k, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No, you're thinking of Susman
W&C always has at least one "true" first year each year who doesn't ever clerk. And they often have a few more who work at the firm for a year before their first clerkship. So there are currently "first years" from the class of 2017 making 200k, "second years" from the class of 2016 making 230k, etc.
There are at least 4, maybe 5, true "first-year" associates that came to the firm straight through this year alone (albeit that's a higher # than usual). c/o 2017 associates coming off of clerkships are paid as "first years" until Jan. 2019, when they then become true second years (just like most firms around the country).

Also, once again, the salary scale posted on Vault is not the current salary scale right now. I don't know the numbers off-hand, but the raises were post-180k and pre-190k , and across the board, bringing salaries to at or above-market (even when bonuses are factored in) up until like the 5th year

I assume they'll be another raise, but the raise was just like 7-8 months ago so who knows

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Here's to hoping the rest of the top firms that haven't matched yet do so on Monday and without being cheap by putting up hurdles to the bonuses. Associates and summer associates at my firm are growing more dissatisfied.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's to hoping the rest of the top firms that haven't matched yet so so on Monday and without being cheap by putting up hurdles to the bonuses. Associates and summer associates at my firm are growing more dissatisfied.
Yeah and they better get their act together fast. Morale here is sinking and it just feels like the firm doesn’t value the associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here's to hoping the rest of the top firms that haven't matched yet so so on Monday and without being cheap by putting up hurdles to the bonuses. Associates and summer associates at my firm are growing more dissatisfied.
Yeah and they better get their act together fast. Morale here is sinking and it just feels like the firm doesn’t value the associates.
Morale here is sinking FAST. It’s all anyone talks about now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 pm

If it were up to you, what would starting market salaries be for biglaw firms in different markets? Assume NYC stays at $190k.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If it were up to you, what would starting market salaries be for biglaw firms in different markets? Assume NYC stays at $190k.
No

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If it were up to you, what would starting market salaries be for biglaw firms in different markets? Assume NYC stays at $190k.
No
190 NY SF LA Houston Chicago

160 everywhere else, including DC and Boston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No

Boston and DC would never be below the prevailing market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No

Why Houston and Chicago at $190k?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”