Background needed for energy (gas & oil) law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shohreh

New

Background needed for energy (gas & oil) law?

Post by shohreh » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm an undergraduate about to begin my junior year of college. Currently, I am majoring in Political Science. I am very interested in energy law. Is there a background needed to purse this field (in biglaw)? In other words... is it necessary that I come from an engineering or earth science background, etc.?

I enjoy learning about the economics and policy behind oil and gas, and my school has a major called Environmental Studies that combines that sort of coursework with some science courses in geology and earth science. I am thinking about picking it up as a second major, but I am not sure if it is even worth it as far as future employment goes. If it's hard and poses a threat to my LSAC GPA, I'll drop it.

Any insight? I know this board isn't for 0Ls but I can't seem to find information anywhere else. Thank you.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Re: Background needed for energy (gas & oil) law?

Post by NoLongerALurker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:54 pm

shohreh wrote:I'm an undergraduate about to begin my junior year of college. Currently, I am majoring in Political Science. I am very interested in energy law. Is there a background needed to purse this field (in biglaw)? In other words... is it necessary that I come from an engineering or earth science background, etc.?

I enjoy learning about the economics and policy behind oil and gas, and my school has a major called Environmental Studies that combines that sort of coursework with some science courses in geology and earth science. I am thinking about picking it up as a second major, but I am not sure if it is even worth it as far as future employment goes. If it's hard and poses a threat to my LSAC GPA, I'll drop it.

Any insight? I know this board isn't for 0Ls but I can't seem to find information anywhere else. Thank you.
Just be willing to work in Texas — poli sci is totally fine.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”