Trading up 3L OCI with Midlaw Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Trading up 3L OCI with Midlaw Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:56 pm

If you secure a post-2L SA offer at an AmLaw 200, what are your chances of parlaying that into a v50 offer before/during 3L? Assume grades meet cutoffs.

Seems like having a "biglaw" offer gives you a chance, but what about a midlaw/regional biglaw offer?

Anonymous User

Re: Trading up 3L OCI with Midlaw Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:17 am

Bump.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:40 am

3L oci isn't really a thing anymore. Summer classes are down 25% across the board. Firms just don't want to hire law students. If you think a midlaw firm is going to open up the way to a biglaw offer, you are really mistaken.

You need to start planning for the non-biglaw outcome.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:12 am

I tried that and failed, but then again, my grades were below median, so who knows. Good luck to you!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 am

It depends on a lot of factors (school, SA firm, v50 needs). If you’re at a t14, chances are decent. I’ve seen people go from midlaw to biglaw durin 3L oci but it wasn’t that common.

I wouldn’t count on it. You should go into your summer thinking that that is the firm you will be at instead of already thinking about trading up so you can make a few more bucks for 3-4 years before you’re shown the door.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:19 pm

I got a v50 big law job the fall of my 3L without working at any law firm my 2L summer (worked at a bank instead). I am very middle of the pack grade-wise at a top 20 school that is strong in my market. I didn't get my job through 3L necessarily, but rather through a "super day" interview arranged directly by my school's career office and my firm. I honestly don't know that it matters that much whether or not you worked at a firm over the summer, but rather the work that you did (or how you spin the work that you did). I spun my experiences well and made a really good pitch for what I could add to the firm and why I'd rather be at this firm in this market rather than at the bank in another market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”