Unique situation: asking co-worker to ask about interview decision... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unique situation: asking co-worker to ask about interview decision...

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:52 pm

So, I think this is kind of a unique situation. Just graduated law school last year and I am currently working at a company with a pretty decent-sized legal department. Due to internal, structural shifts, my GC (who's actually a super nice guy), informed me that I'd probably not be able to continue at the company beyond the summer. As a result, been hitting the pavement hard to find another job. Couple of weeks ago, I managed to land an interview with a top firm and after my screener, got a callback invitation the next day. When I mentioned this to a co-worker of mine (he's associate general counsel), he said, hey, I know someone at that firm - my best friend John Doe. Turns out, John Doe was one of my interviewers, and I ended up speaking with him three times BEFORE my actual interview. So after all that, went for my callback interview, thought it went okay, and once I was done, was told that the group wants to move quickly with their decision and that I am one of only a couple of candidates that they're considering. Given this, I was told that I'd hear back from them soon. It has been about two weeks now, and I have heard nothing from them. Usually, if it were different circumstances, I would just kind of brush it off, but given that the partner is close friends with my co-worker and that I spoke with him three times before my interview, I thought I'd hear at least SOME response either way regarding the decision. Considering all these factors, do you think it'd be okay if I gently ask my co-worker about the interview results? I really need this job and I also really need to find out soon because money... Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Unique situation: asking co-worker to ask about interview decision...

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Sounds like they (1) are still interviewing other candidates (timeline can get prolonged if there're scheduling conflicts), (2) have extended offer to someone else and is waiting to hear back, but you are still on waitlist, or (3) forgot to send you a rejection email. Unfortunately you are not their top choice either way.

A lateral offer can take months but that's not likely if they said they'd move quickly. I once had a callback (after turning an informal interview with practice head into CB) and followed up in 1.5 week and got a personalized rejection from this practice head saying they feel I didn''t have enough experience. Followed up with him and met for coffee in person, was told the call back to offer conversion is around 1 out of 9 for junior and 1 out of 5 for mid levels at that firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:48 am

OP here. I agree with you 100%, but I guess I'm just frustrated because given the circumstances, I would hear back either way, whether I got the job or not. Honestly, I would just prefer knowing if I didn't get the job because there are some personal things that I could sort out once I figure out I get the decision. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on things I can do just to get an affirmative yes or no??? Thank you...

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I agree with you 100%, but I guess I'm just frustrated because given the circumstances, I would hear back either way, whether I got the job or not. Honestly, I would just prefer knowing if I didn't get the job because there are some personal things that I could sort out once I figure out I get the decision. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on things I can do just to get an affirmative yes or no??? Thank you...

I would shoot a friendly email to the person you interviewed with re inquiring as to job title position, enjoyed meeting, still interested and would like to know status and timeline on decision etc. He'll remember how you were referred regardless and inquiring yourself shows you are looking to be taken into consideration on your own merits etc...

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 pm

seasidemama wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I agree with you 100%, but I guess I'm just frustrated because given the circumstances, I would hear back either way, whether I got the job or not. Honestly, I would just prefer knowing if I didn't get the job because there are some personal things that I could sort out once I figure out I get the decision. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on things I can do just to get an affirmative yes or no??? Thank you...

I would shoot a friendly email to the person you interviewed with re inquiring as to job title position, enjoyed meeting, still interested and would like to know status and timeline on decision etc. He'll remember how you were referred regardless and inquiring yourself shows you are looking to be taken into consideration on your own merits etc...
Agreed. Either email the person you interviewed with or whomever in recruiting coordinated your interviews. Don't ask the co-worker to ask the partner friend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”