Tech trans vs emerging companies Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tech trans vs emerging companies

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Curious if people have thoughts in relation to how interesting the work is and the quality/level of exit options.

I’ve already seen the below thread. Consensus seems to be that tech trans exit options are better and the work might be more interesting. But emerging companies/corporate work let’s you interact with the business more broadly, which might mean more opps to go in-house at a higher level.

Wanted to create a thread just to discuss this topic

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=272347

Anonymous User

Re: Tech trans vs emerging companies

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 am

Tech trans varies, privacy and licensing if you can get it are hotter than tech trans deal support. Much easier to go in-house with tech trans background. Depending on your long term goals and career plan, emerging companies firm experience is actually better, building network, getting broader exposure, etc., but that first jump in-house is harder especially because the ideal role will probably require some licensing or privacy experience. Ymmv.

kalcifer

New

Post by kalcifer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tech trans varies, privacy and licensing if you can get it are hotter than tech trans deal support. Much easier to go in-house with tech trans background. Depending on your long term goals and career plan, emerging companies firm experience is actually better, building network, getting broader exposure, etc., but that first jump in-house is harder especially because the ideal role will probably require some licensing or privacy experience. Ymmv.
Is there any tech trans group out there that let's you only do licensing and not do any deal support? Most I know have you do both depending on the need.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:51 pm

are emerging companies exits mostly to clients in the growth/vc stage or are there ample opportunities with large public tech companies as well? (i.e. Facebook/alphabet/apple)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 am

Am quoted anon. All tech trans require both, that I know, though associates will sometimes quickly move towards almost exclusively privacy and licensing.

On second question: emerging company exits are not really limited in that aspect, that I am aware. Just that, at least straight from the firm, 9 out of 10 positions you’ll lose out to the version of you that went to tech trans instead, because, again, the day to day for the non-senior in-house legal positions is often licensing/privacy/general commercial matters. However, in-house you are much less likely to get the emerging company financing transaction or m&a exit experience that can be fairly important to many more senior in-house legal positions. You really want to have proficiency at both the daily operational pieces and strategic transactions. Some big lawtech trans groups do their own m&a and emerging company work (makes sense when you think about tech trans as often being a splinter group from the m&a and emerging company practices), which is probably the best of all worlds.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:31 am

Double posting. I should also add that tech trans I think varies a lot more from firm to firm, and even office to office, than your standard m&a or emerging company practice, so definitely a lot of ymmv.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Bump please :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:50 am

Bump as well

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2018 2:44 pm

bumping and sharing another relevant thread here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... s#p9744523

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”