Should I be concerned about low hours? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
persia1921

New

Should I be concerned about low hours?

Post by persia1921 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:08 am

1st year that started in mid-october, firms fiscal year started in November. 1900 target.

November just under 100 hours
December just over 100 hours
January just over 200 hours
February just over 100 hours
March around 65 hours so far...

Pro bono is included in billable count (probably averaged around 10-15 hours per month of it, maybe a bit more in November/December). We had a lot of trainings in November also.

Everyone at the firm (partners, associates, etc) say not to worry about hours as a first year. I have also heard they don't consider then for bonus purposes--which I cannot help being very skeptical of.

Generally don't know if I should believe what I am hearing... First year class is fairly large, and some people seem slammed while other seem very slow. I also feel like everyone overstates how busy they are so its hard to get a grasp (very similar to 1L year of law school which is obnoxious, but I guess not surprising).

Looking for thoughts. Thanks!

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Re: Should I be concerned about low hours?

Post by Right2BearArms » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 pm

persia1921 wrote:1st year that started in mid-october, firms fiscal year started in November. 1900 target.

November just under 100 hours
December just over 100 hours
January just over 200 hours
February just over 100 hours
March around 65 hours so far...

Pro bono is included in billable count (probably averaged around 10-15 hours per month of it, maybe a bit more in November/December). We had a lot of trainings in November also.

Everyone at the firm (partners, associates, etc) say not to worry about hours as a first year. I have also heard they don't consider then for bonus purposes--which I cannot help being very skeptical of.

Generally don't know if I should believe what I am hearing... First year class is fairly large, and some people seem slammed while other seem very slow. I also feel like everyone overstates how busy they are so its hard to get a grasp (very similar to 1L year of law school which is obnoxious, but I guess not surprising).

Looking for thoughts. Thanks!
You're fine. Keep looking for work and be available, unless you have royally messed up assignments at some point, work will come.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Just do excellent mistake-free work. The payoff is receiving more work/hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27 pm

I’m in a similar boat. Everyone around me tells me to not focus on my hours right now, but it’s hard not to. I don’t think first years get fired for low hours normally, but I just feel like I’ll be at a disadvantage later on.

I wonder how true it is that they don’t care how many hours a first year bills. My firm tells me that first year is for training so I should focus on learning right now, so I guess it’s pretty normal?

Sorry I’m not giving any advice. Just wanted to add my experience to show that maybe it’s not that unusual

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 am

I wouldn't worry much yet. When you do get work, focus on making it absolutely perfect since you have the time to do so. And continue to reach out to folks to let them know you are slow. Hopefully you'll find a somewhat steady workstream in the coming months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:39 pm

I had 100 hours a month as a first year (1150 on the year at a V20, wutwut). It came up in my interview and wasn't ideal, but it wasn't like I got fired or anything. All in all I'd say it was ideal. Some people are all "but aren't you afraid you're not developing skills" but I'm all "ya, another 800 hours spent running redlines sure would have helped me out." Now I'm a second year and I'm getting the same level of work and feel just as competent as other second years, except I dodged having to do hundred hours of horrible first year work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:48 pm

How many hours is a cause for concern in your first year? Like 40 hour months?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many hours is a cause for concern in your first year? Like 40 hour months?
Depends on how many low hour months. One 40 hour month might just be an anomaly (the case/deal you were on settled/got tabled or whatever). But I would be worried about consistent sub-100 hour months. I know someone who billed around 800 hours his first year and was let go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:43 pm

I’m in a similar boat, averaging 100 hours/month. Always feel like when a partner wants to talk, I am going to get the ax. Hasn’t happened yet. I’ve made a few minor mistakes (which were exacerbated by the partner and other associate not catching my mistake) and that’s probably a bigger concern tbh.

Everyone says not to worry about hours for the first year but I don’t believe them. If I don’t crack 1500, I seriously doubt they will ask me to stay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Just hit 1500 through Novembe for fiscal 2018. I honestly don't think I'll make 1600 this year since december is starting off slow. Should I be talking to a recruiter? Not counting my stub year which was last year.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just hit 1500 through Novembe for fiscal 2018. I honestly don't think I'll make 1600 this year since december is starting off slow. Should I be talking to a recruiter? Not counting my stub year which was last year.
If you get work when you ask for it, don't worry about it. Just start asking for more. If everyone else is slammed, you're asking for work, and nothing's coming in, then that could be a red flag, and I'd probably talk to a recruiter. Another consideration is that more work means more experience (even if you're doing the same thing over and over again) so if you don't feel like you're getting enough experience, then you could be proactive and look to move.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”