How to handle salary expectation question (for semester time law clerk position) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to handle salary expectation question (for semester time law clerk position)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Just interviewed with a plaintiff firm for a law clerk position during the school year. During the interview, one question came up "how much do you expect to get paid." As a law student I didn't want to demand too much so I told the interviewer an hourly rate between $10-15. That said, I expect something around $20/hr to cover my living cost, but that sounds too much. I don't have full-time work experience so I have no idea about this.

Generally, how does a law student handle such questions without being too demanding? Thanks!

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: How to handle salary expectation question (for semester time law clerk position)

Post by BasilHallward » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just interviewed with a plaintiff firm for a law clerk position during the school year. During the interview, one question came up "how much do you expect to get paid." As a law student I didn't want to demand too much so I told the interviewer an hourly rate between $10-15. That said, I expect something around $20/hr to cover my living cost, but that sounds too much. I don't have full-time work experience so I have no idea about this.

Generally, how does a law student handle such questions without being too demanding? Thanks!
You don't get what you don't ask for, generally. lawl

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”