Networking Meeting Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Networking Meeting Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:34 pm

1L meeting with a senior associate at a big firm in a city/practice area that I'm interested in. I knew this person from a different job a while back, emailed a few times when I was picking a law school, and I recently got in touch to get coffee.

What are some good questions that I should ask outside of "what kind of cases are you working on?" I want to communicate my interest in the firm but not seem like I expect any favors. I'm not worried about keeping the conversation going, I just don't want to squander the opportunity or have them leave the meeting thinking that I wasted their time. It's also not like this is an interview.

Should I keep the conversation general? Or is it ok for me to ask questions about OCI, lifestyle, etc?

Thanks for helping out

shock259

Gold

Re: Networking Meeting Advice

Post by shock259 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:23 pm

I think it's always best to keep the focus on them. So ask questions about what he/she is working on, how he/she picked their practice group, what advice they'd have for a 1L, etc. Basically, it's great if you can have them walk you through their life and how they got where they are. People love talking about themselves. And I think making a good impression is probably more important than gleaning any particularly useful information from them.

I'd avoid lifestyle. Sets off immediate red flags. Not fair, but that's how it is.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”