Think I might get fired from biglaw. If this has happened to you, tell me about what to expect. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Think I might get fired from biglaw. If this has happened to you, tell me about what to expect.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Just a feeling I get. For what it’s worth, Lower to middle v100, 6th year but only second year with this firm.

What happens? Is there usually any warning or do they just come out and do it? Also, if this happened to you, hard was it to bounce back afterward in terms of psychological trauma and and also getting a new job?

Honestly, I don’t want to work in another law firm again, but would like to be able to work for a company or the government and don’t want to be blacklisted from the profession.

Have already started submitting apps but the processes are just dismally slow.

Anonymous User

Re: Think I might get fired from biglaw. If this has happened to you, tell me about what to expect.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:59 pm

I know people that have been fired. Usually they sort of know they are gonna get canned because they have gotten "talks" or their hours are just really low. From what I heard its pretty non-adversarial. A partner you don't know well may come by your office and ask to talk, you may be called to a partners office, etc. Firms usually give you some time to find another job with severance (like at least a month). Then you just stay home, get paid, and either chill or look for jobs. Everyone I know that was fired stayed home or traveled.

I don't think anyone ever has to know you've been fired when you are looking for future jobs. It may come up on a background check, but that doesn't really matter. Just say you got burnt out of big law after 6 years and wanted a break. Try to do something adventurous during your severance time. Get paid to travel or fish or something that you want to do.

Anonymous User

Re: Think I might get fired from biglaw. If this has happened to you, tell me about what to expect.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 pm

You were competent enough to survive in law firms for six years, and your current employer saw fit to keep you around for roughly two years, so it seems unlikely you will be "blacklisted from the profession." You have apparently proven yourself as someone worthy of a $250,000+ salary. That should be enough to warrant landing an in-house job, which would presumably pay much less for your services.

While I understand you wouldn't want to provided specifics, they are necessary to really address your concern. If you are fired due to conflicts with partners, "fit," or even low hours, you likely have nothing to worry about. If you are fired because you took a dump on your secretary's desk, that might follow you around for awhile.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You were competent enough to survive in law firms for six years, and your current employer saw fit to keep you around for roughly two years, so it seems unlikely you will be "blacklisted from the profession." You have apparently proven yourself as someone worthy of a $250,000+ salary. That should be enough to warrant landing an in-house job, which would presumably pay much less for your services.

While I understand you wouldn't want to provided specifics, they are necessary to really address your concern. If you are fired due to conflicts with partners, "fit," or even low hours, you likely have nothing to worry about. If you are fired because you took a dump on your secretary's desk, that might follow you around for awhile.
Thanks.

No shits on desks. I have been late on internal deadlines with several assignments, though--frankly I'm feeling really burned out, depressed, and have not been concentrating well at work. No personality conflicts to speak of; I actually like everyone personally, but I kind of hate the work itself (which without getting into too many specifics, isn't what I thought I signed up for when I took this position--not saying that's an excuse for anything, but it plays a role in the whole burnout thing).

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:13 am

I don't know shit about bl. However, as a general employment issue, yeah if the displeasure and unhappiness you feel is apparent to your bosses, then it wouldn't surprise me if they found an excuse in your work to let you go. It's no good for anyone's morale at that point, especially if there are other workers who might feel more drained when they work with you.

Find something that makes you happy. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:26 am

In this scenario, what are the pros and cons of quitting first (even with no offer in hand)?

Isn’t it common to have to disclose to potential employers whether you’ve been fired?

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:00 pm

The point is that you don't get "fired" in biglaw - you get a "talk," spend a few months finding a new spot, and then leave "voluntarily."

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:00 pm

The point is that you don't get "fired" in biglaw - you get a "talk," spend a few months finding a new spot, and then leave "voluntarily."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:53 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:The point is that you don't get "fired" in biglaw - you get a "talk," spend a few months finding a new spot, and then leave "voluntarily."
Do you think there ever a situation in which it would be wise or appropriate to get in front of the situation and tell the managing partner that I’m thinking of moving elsewhere in the next six months and asking if they would support the move with positive references? This is obviously risky but it seems like it could help them avoid the trouble of giving the “talk” and it would also feel more “voluntary” on all sides.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:04 pm

I wouldn't mention anything to anyone in the office that you are looking elsewhere - if you are making a lateral move, your prospective firm won't be calling up your current firm for references anyway.

Think about it another way: if you were looking to hire someone, and the candidate's current employer calls you to support that candidate, wouldn't that be a sign that the candidate is being pushed out?

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:05 pm

minnbills wrote:if you are making a lateral move, your prospective firm won't be calling up your current firm for references anyway.
This is not true -- my new firm called my old firm when I lateralled (after I received the offer). However it is an unspoken rule that your old firm will not bash you and I think almost all firms will abide this unless you've done something over-the-top terrible (well beyond the standard reasons that anyone would get pushed out).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 pm

To get back to OP's concern, you shouldn't have any issues moving forward, given what you have indicated. After 6 years working in law firms, and at least roughly 2 years working in biglaw, I think anyone can understand feeling a little burned out. This is even more likely if you want to move in-house, since roughly, oh I don't know, roughly 99.9999999% of attorneys make the move for that very reason.

Everyone who moves from biglaw after a handful of years takes a paycut moving in-house. Everyone knows in-house attorneys work less intense schedules than biglaw attorneys. Making the move due to "burnout," or to otherwise seek better work-life balance goes without saying. You will be fine OP, just hang in there and move forward.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
minnbills wrote:if you are making a lateral move, your prospective firm won't be calling up your current firm for references anyway.
This is not true -- my new firm called my old firm when I lateralled (after I received the offer). However it is an unspoken rule that your old firm will not bash you and I think almost all firms will abide this unless you've done something over-the-top terrible (well beyond the standard reasons that anyone would get pushed out).
This. I just lateralled to a V100 firm and they wanted three references total, with two from my old firm. They won’t contact your references until you give notice though. I also agree that it’s highly unlikely your old firm would say anything bad about you. It would be a bad look for everyone. Accordingly, I wouldn’t give advanced notice you’re looking. Just get your next job and and don’t worry about the references part.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”