How Should I Mass Mail? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Should I Mass Mail?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Background: I'm exactly median at Northwestern. I'm busting my ass this semester and approaching things differently, but obviously have no idea how it will turn out. My goal is to work in Chicago at a firm headquartered there (think K&E, Sidley, Mayer Brown, etc.), but I am willing to work for anyone or go anywhere for big law. As of right now I plan on applying to Chicago, my home market which is an insular secondary city in the Midwest (think Indianapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Detroit, etc.), and NYC. I will be working in my home market this summer in a state government position, so I will be unable to network in Chicago. However, I have started getting coffee with attorneys and going to receptions at least once a week.

Questions:

(1) When should I start mass-mailing? As soon as I get done with finals? When grades come back?
(2) Do I mass-mail firms I plan on interviewing with at OCI?
(3) Is there any advantage to having firms not see my median GPA before they interview me at OCI?
(4) What markets can I mass-mail besides the one listed above that a median t-14 Midwesterner would have a legitimate shot at landing?

Anonymous User

Re: How Should I Mass Mail?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 am

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Are you a 1L? If so, I'd focus on getting those grades up as opposed to networking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you a 1L? If so, I'd focus on getting those grades up as opposed to networking.
Is networking largely a waste of time then? I'm not putting that much time into it, but enough to say I know a person or two at each of my top choice firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you a 1L? If so, I'd focus on getting those grades up as opposed to networking.
Is networking largely a waste of time then? I'm not putting that much time into it, but enough to say I know a person or two at each of my top choice firms.
I networked a shit ton and still struck out. Networking doesn't mean shit unless you have the grades to back it up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I networked a shit ton and still struck out. Networking doesn't mean shit unless you have the grades to back it up.
So how should OP mass mail, assuming they stay median?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:44 pm

Bump

Miznitic

Bronze

Post by Miznitic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:08 pm

If by mass mail, you mean sending personalized emails/letters to hiring partners seeking advice or mentorship, do that relatively soon in your academic career. If you plan on sending the same thing to everyone, just don't. I throw those away when I get them.

curepure

New

Post by curepure » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:23 pm

For emails to associates
1. Keep your emails short and sweet, build rapport with your recipients in the first or second sentence (common interest, school, practice interests).
2. Ask to meet for coffee or speak over a phone call (preferably meet with mid/senior associates in person), seek career advice, guidance etc.
3. Send resume after meeting in person/speaking over the phone.
4. Follow up once in a while.

For emails to partners
Pretty much the same as above but expect to get fewer responses/face time. Keep track of the partner level lateral movements, if a firm opens a new office and has recruited new partners, email those new partners offering to be their associates.

Other thoughts
Go to wallstreetoasis.com and learn how investment banking/consulting applicants network.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:35 pm

Miznitic wrote:If by mass mail, you mean sending personalized emails/letters to hiring partners seeking advice or mentorship, do that relatively soon in your academic career. If you plan on sending the same thing to everyone, just don't. I throw those away when I get them.
By mass mail, I mean sending job applications to firms. How is this not clear?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:36 pm

curepure wrote:For emails to associates
1. Keep your emails short and sweet, build rapport with your recipients in the first or second sentence (common interest, school, practice interests).
2. Ask to meet for coffee or speak over a phone call (preferably meet with mid/senior associates in person), seek career advice, guidance etc.

For emails to partners
Pretty much the same as above but expect to get fewer responses/face time. Keep track of the partner level lateral movements, if a firm opens a new office and has recruited new partners, email those new partners offering to be their associates.

Other thoughts
Go to wallstreetoasis.com and learn how investment banking/consulting applicants network.
But what about in terms of applying for jobs? I'm talking about mass mailing before OCI

curepure

New

Post by curepure » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

For emails to partners

Other thoughts
But what about in terms of applying for jobs? I'm talking about mass mailing before OCI
You network, leave a good impression, and hopefully the people you met will put in good words/pass along your resume to the hiring teams. For me, this is the most effective way to get interviews. You can of course apply for jobs online through firm's recruiting system, cold email your resume to partners/recruiting contacts, but I'm sure you already know how effective that is.

Miznitic

Bronze

Post by Miznitic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Miznitic wrote:If by mass mail, you mean sending personalized emails/letters to hiring partners seeking advice or mentorship, do that relatively soon in your academic career. If you plan on sending the same thing to everyone, just don't. I throw those away when I get them.
I understood your purpose clearly. My answer remains the same.

Mass-ANYTHING never reaches my desk.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
There are thousands of posts about how/when to mass mail. I can't recommend the search function too highly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:24 am

curepure wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For emails to partners

Other thoughts
You network, leave a good impression, and hopefully the people you met will put in good words/pass along your resume to the hiring teams. For me, this is the most effective way to get interviews. You can of course apply for jobs online through firm's recruiting system, cold email your resume to partners/recruiting contacts, but I'm sure you already know how effective that is.
Two thumbs up

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”