Thoughts on tax LLM? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mr.Bulldops

New

Thoughts on tax LLM?

Post by Mr.Bulldops » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I am trying to increase my chances of meaningful employment after graduation and was wondering if a tax LLM from NYU/GULC would be a good idea.

For some background, I go to a small TTTT and may have made a fatal mistake in not transferring out after my first year. I am ranked in the top 5, editor in chief of law review. I have state and federal court externship experience, legal aid work, and I summered at a well respected regional mid size law firm but was not offered a position as an associate. I am aware that my JD reputation leaves something to be desired (to put it politely).

I feel pretty lost as to what to do. I had one interview for a clerkship with a federal judge but the offer went to someone else. I have applied for federal clerkships that did not require post-JD experience. I have mailed to small, medium, and large size firms but nothing has come of it. I have been networking with a few attorneys at large firms in my state, but again, no positions available.

So back to the question at hand: would it be beneficial for me to pursue a tax LLM at one of those schools? Or should I be focusing my attention elsewhere. I would prefer a job, that pays, pretty much anywhere.

I would appreciate any advice.

nealric

Re: Thoughts on tax LLM?

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:41 pm

It would be helpful if you have a demonstrated interest in tax and/or an accounting background, but an NYU LLM would likely give you a second bite at the apple.

A big4 job is more likely than a biglaw job, but biglaw isn't totally out of the question. Other than a significant scholarship elsewhere, there is no reason to attend anywhere else, as you should get into NYU with your grades and EIC of the law review status.

Mr.Bulldops

New

Re: Thoughts on tax LLM?

Post by Mr.Bulldops » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:25 am

Thank you for the information. I don’t have an accounting degree or anything but I have taken a few tax classes in law school and wrote on a tax issue, and I really enjoyed the material and its challenges.

I am going to look into applying ASAP.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”