References as a young associate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

References as a young associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:50 pm

I have been asked for three references after a second interview for a federal position. I've had three lined up but now that the moment has come I'm second-guessing.

I have only been working as an attorney for <2 years. My firm doesn't have much turnover, so I don't have ex-coworkers or partners to use. I could maybe call up a law professor or two, but that would take time. The three I have lined up are former classmates: one undergraduate, two law school. All three of them are successful attorneys in various roles. I have either worked with them in student organizations, legal aid offices, or volunteer work.

Will I blow my chance by including these three? Is it considered unacceptable to use peers that aren't my coworkers? I really don't have any other great options. I don't want to use anyone at my current firm.

I'd like to add to my reference description of each with more than just our school activities - can I say that we mentor each other professionally, or will that be laughed at? (I mean, it's true. I use them for legal and career advice, to develop business, and they want me to succeed).

Thoughts in general?

jd20132013

Silver

Re: References as a young associate?

Post by jd20132013 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm baffled as to why you wouldn't use a law professor

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Your instincts are right...this is unusual and risky. You need a supervisor or someone senior to you in the legal profession -- not a peer. Whether it is a professor, from an internship, or best of all from your current job (even if it is awkward). It does create an odd impression that you can't have one person speak highly of you who is not a peer and it will stand out.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:55 pm

I’m guessing they want to check the references prior to offering you the job? Worst case you could try to explain that you’re happy to list references from your current firm, but for obvious reasons you would not want them contacted until after an offer is made.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks all. I managed to touch base with some old professors and get a super quick turnaround. I did not submit any of my peers.

Although, I don't think it's that strange to do so. Ideal? No. But better than nothing I would argue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:21 pm

I’d think it’s pretty strange and goes against common sense / defeats the purpose of listing references.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”