Anyone else have trouble relaxing? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
timmyd

Bronze

Anyone else have trouble relaxing?

Post by timmyd » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 pm

I just started at a new firm his past week. I'm a general civil lit attorney and there is a ton of work to do, including a trial in May. That said, my boss said he didn't expect me to even bill thirty hours this week, as I'm obviously still getting used to things in a new city/firm. So I billed prolly like 35 hours this week.

Still, it's Saturday and I'm having trouble just relaxing. Which leads to my broader question: how do people relax in this field? Its stressful, especially being an employee. I drink a little but hate drinking to excess. I also am having trouble sleeping because I'm always nervous.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Re: Anyone else have trouble relaxing?

Post by eastcoast_iub » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Smoke some weed. Seriously.

Also, exercise.

Civilservant

New

Post by Civilservant » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:02 pm

How many kids do you have? If the answer is less than one, go out and do something fun. If you have one or more, buy some weed from the poster above.

thecatgoesmeow

New

Post by thecatgoesmeow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:53 pm

All the time. The longer I am at my firm, the worse it gets. On Friday evenings I already have anxiety about Monday mornings. You aren't alone in feeling this way and I can personally attest that smoking pot by itself will not make it any better.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:14 pm

You’re certainly not alone in this. I have friends at big firms who have to take Xanax. You know the stats about lawyers self-medicating with alcohol and drugs. I personally got placed in a less-demanding secundment for a few months and it took me weeks to decompress and fully be able to relax on weekends or at night. Humans are incredibly adaptable and not all people suffer under big law’s work environment, but most people do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:22 pm

I wasn't in BigLaw but instead a very demanding litigation field of local govnm't (think trials every week and daily appearances in court) and I went through the exact same thing as you're going through now. It got better sometime between 6-12 months of the start date. Better in that I was able to live a normal life on the weekends and sleep at night lol exercise, movies and doing things that help you "turn off" helped to get through the 6-12 months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:18 am

seriously though, pot

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Another vote for THC/CBD, particularly of the indica variety. Indica is more of a "physical," relaxing high, whereas sativa tends give be a more "heady," stimulating high. If you live in a state that offers THC/CBD for recreational or medical purposes, you should give it a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”