Texas Reciprocity Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Chockyy

New

Texas Reciprocity

Post by Chockyy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 am

Not sure the correct forum for this, hope this is ok. Anyone have any exdperience with applying for reciprocity in Texas? What's the process? I have been licensed in another jurisdiction for 5 years, was an associate for 4 of those years, and a fulltime clerk/contract attorney performing attorney duties for 1 year. How much scrutiny is there/how long does the process work. Thanks!

JackofLaw

New

Re: Texas Reciprocity

Post by JackofLaw » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:36 pm

I waived into Texas a few years ago. Don't think the process has meaningfully changed since then.

As I recall, you need to be engaged in the full-time practice of law as your primary occupation for five of the seven years preceding your application. The paperwork requirements are significant - I recall submitting tax returns from a number of years, etc., to show that most of my income came from the practice of law. There are some character requirements, letters of reference, etc.

Once the application was in, though, it was painless. I was licensed within two months of submitting the application.

Chockyy

New

Post by Chockyy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for the insight. Yes, those continue to be the requirements. My concern is that I plan to submit my application a few weeks after the 5 year anniversary of being licensed in another jurisdiction. My first year or so of being licensed, my job title was contract attorney/law clerk for a mid-size firm, where I worked full time performing attorney duties, such as legal research and drafting motions and attending hearings on occasion. My tax returns will reflect that I worked full time throughout, and the fact that I was licensed I think bolsters the position that it was attorney work, but I wonder if they will overly scrutinize that year of practice, as I was not a salary employee, and my official title was clerk/contract attorney.

Any additional insight is much appreciated!

JackofLaw

New

Post by JackofLaw » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:47 pm

I've not served on the admissions committee or anything, but I don't think there is a prestige rider on the "attorney work" requirement. If your work required you to be a licensed attorney, it should qualify. If you're concerned, get a clear letter of recommendation from a former supervisor describing the work.

Chockyy

New

Post by Chockyy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:33 am

Your point is well taken, and that's a great idea. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”