Trans v. Lit GPAs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Trans v. Lit GPAs

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 pm

I'm looking to do biglaw in Chicago (really don't want NYC and want to stay in Chicago long-term), but for my desired speciality (tax) there are only about 7-8 major firms with sizeable/good practices. Looking at the OCI documents for my school, my median grades at Chicago/Northwestern don't look too hot considering a lot of the great tax practices are the HQ offices of the firms in question (and thus have higher grades than their offices in other markets). I'm obviously trying to bring my grades up, and we'll see how that goes, but I was wondering if the OCI callback grades would look significantly different if they were just for transactional/tax. I've heard that lit. is much harder to get out of Chicago, but I'm not really sure how significant that is. Could anyone shed some light?

Bonus: I will have finished a tax law course by OCI, volunteer doing tax preparation, have a parent that is a sr. level tax accountant at a F500 (one stop below VP), went to Chicago/Northwestern for undergrad, have lived within 2hrs driving distance of Chicago my entire life (not in Illinois but in a border state), and my best grade is contracts (if that counts for anything).

Thanks

Return to “Legal Employment”