Still Searching for 1L Summer Internship... Suggestions? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Still Searching for 1L Summer Internship... Suggestions?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:21 pm

1L at T10 Above Median. Any advice for places for internship welcome. Public interest positions in big cities preferred! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Still Searching for 1L Summer Internship... Suggestions?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at T10 Above Median. Any advice for places for internship welcome. Public interest positions in big cities preferred! Thanks!
Court: You likely won't find any federal court internships left, but state courts are hiring all the way up until the summer. Email all the judges you can find.

In House: A ton of In House internships are being posted daily to job sites like LinkedIn, Indeed, etc. If that's the avenue you want, you can find it pretty easily (as an above median t-10). Even public interest opportunities at in-house non-profits are being posted constantly. Just gotta look.

Fed (SEC, DOJ, etc): You've likely missed the boat on applying to these, unfortunately.

Firms: Always an unknown, but if you can find a small/medium firm in an area you're interested in, send them an email. It never hurts, and you never know.
As for 1L SA positions, I know a ton of firms are still looking. Look through the v100 and apply to 1L SA positions that are still open, with practice areas you're interested in.

Long and short of it is that you're above median at t10 - whichever job you take as a summer intern will likely not matter in the long run (unless it's a 1L SA) so that being said, keep applying. There are a ton of avenues still open if you look for them, and you're far from out of the race. You're gonna find something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at T10 Above Median. Any advice for places for internship welcome. Public interest positions in big cities preferred! Thanks!
A lot of the in-house and LCLD 1L positions are now reaching out. Although the latter's application deadlines have passed, the in-house ones have not.

gasfard

New

Post by gasfard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:40 pm

Keep applying to PI, but lower your expectations; now is not the time to be picky. Reach out to professors for RA positions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Court: You likely won't find any federal court internships left, but state courts are hiring all the way up until the summer. Email all the judges you can find.

In House: A ton of In House internships are being posted daily to job sites like LinkedIn, Indeed, etc. If that's the avenue you want, you can find it pretty easily (as an above median t-10). Even public interest opportunities at in-house non-profits are being posted constantly. Just gotta look.

Fed (SEC, DOJ, etc): You've likely missed the boat on applying to these, unfortunately.

Firms: Always an unknown, but if you can find a small/medium firm in an area you're interested in, send them an email. It never hurts, and you never know.
As for 1L SA positions, I know a ton of firms are still looking. Look through the v100 and apply to 1L SA positions that are still open, with practice areas you're interested in.

Long and short of it is that you're above median at t10 - whichever job you take as a summer intern will likely not matter in the long run (unless it's a 1L SA) so that being said, keep applying. There are a ton of avenues still open if you look for them, and you're far from out of the race. You're gonna find something.
Thank you! This is very detailed. I appreciate your time!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A lot of the in-house and LCLD 1L positions are now reaching out. Although the latter's application deadlines have passed, the in-house ones have not.
Yes I did get invited for a LCLD law firm interview today... wonder if they didn't get their top choices and are now coming for N-th round. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes I did get invited for a LCLD law firm interview today... wonder if they didn't get their top choices and are now coming for N-th round. Thanks!
I've been getting LCLD firm and corporate interview invites, and I wonder why they are getting back later in the application process. I applied to these all in late December. Compared to the biglaw tract of interviewing, it seems like LCLD and govt jobs have been on a whole other plane.

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 am

A bunch of agencies in DC are still hiring unpaid interns (FCC, DHS, etc.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Dunnkirk85 wrote:A bunch of agencies in DC are still hiring unpaid interns (FCC, DHS, etc.)
A lot of agencies have regional offices that are likely still hiring too. I worked for the general counsel for a rando agency I had zero interest in and it was a perfectly fine 1L summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”