....Should I Be Worried Yet? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

....Should I Be Worried Yet?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:25 pm

I'm 3L at a T2 school with slightly better than average grades and I have not received an offer of employment. When should I start panicking and does anyone have advice on applying JD advantage jobs?

It'd also be great if anyone had suggestions for where to apply. I'm having trouble finding places hiring.

JGMotorsport

New

Re: ....Should I Be Worried Yet?

Post by JGMotorsport » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:56 am

Maybe. But most people where I am, T25, who are not working in larger firms (all 5% of them) are either clerking at small firms or waiting to pass the bar.

Many small firms won’t hire you until you pass the bar.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:28 pm

JGMotorsport wrote:Many small firms won’t hire you until you pass the bar.
This. If you are waiting around expecting an offer before graduation or passing the bar, it is unlikely. Firms and small gov't jobs generally do not hire until after you have your license.

Apply anywhere and everywhere. Even firms and agencies that do not have job postings.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:51 pm

You will probably not get a job before graduation. Whether or not you should be worried about that is up to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 am

Does anyone have tips for what to do in the meantime? I'm sort of on my own income wise, so I need a way to make money from now until October. Did anyone work felxible part time jobs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have tips for what to do in the meantime? I'm sort of on my own income wise, so I need a way to make money from now until October. Did anyone work felxible part time jobs?
My significant other worked 2 jobs, including at a cycling studio to make ends meet

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Many people will not agree with me on this. Print out a ton of resumes and walk into a ton of law firms/courts/ etc and ask for 5 minutes of their time. Express your situation, things will eventually shake lose. Either they can help you directly or can give you leads. My dad owned a firm of about 30 employees and that was the advice he gave me. I landed a judicial clerkship that way within 2 weeks of pounding pavement and landed an associate position in week in my final semester of law school doing that. Some firms may not like that, granted. But with many partners and higher ups being apart of the baby boomer generation, many respect and can not turn down gusto of those sorts. Both the judge and partner who hired me said that is one of the reasons I actually got the job.

TwinkleToez

New

Post by TwinkleToez » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:Many people will not agree with me on this. Print out a ton of resumes and walk into a ton of law firms/courts/ etc and ask for 5 minutes of their time. Express your situation, things will eventually shake lose. Either they can help you directly or can give you leads. My dad owned a firm of about 30 employees and that was the advice he gave me. I landed a judicial clerkship that way within 2 weeks of pounding pavement and landed an associate position in week in my final semester of law school doing that. Some firms may not like that, granted. But with many partners and higher ups being apart of the baby boomer generation, many respect and can not turn down gusto of those sorts. Both the judge and partner who hired me said that is one of the reasons I actually got the job.
That's encouraging! I think it might be harder for me, because I have slightly above average grades and went to a school in the top 50s. But, I'll give this a try. Its nice to know it worked out for someone.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:Many people will not agree with me on this. Print out a ton of resumes and walk into a ton of law firms/courts/ etc and ask for 5 minutes of their time. Express your situation, things will eventually shake lose. Either they can help you directly or can give you leads. My dad owned a firm of about 30 employees and that was the advice he gave me. I landed a judicial clerkship that way within 2 weeks of pounding pavement and landed an associate position in week in my final semester of law school doing that. Some firms may not like that, granted. But with many partners and higher ups being apart of the baby boomer generation, many respect and can not turn down gusto of those sorts. Both the judge and partner who hired me said that is one of the reasons I actually got the job.
I think this is a really good idea. Everyone knows how hard it is to get the first legal job. This would scream to me that this person wanted it more and was willing to go after it. I’d persoanlly respect that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
I think this is a really good idea. Everyone knows how hard it is to get the first legal job. This would scream to me that this person wanted it more and was willing to go after it. I’d persoanlly respect that.
I know someone who did this in NYC to get their first gig. Ended up moving up to midlaw and now they're VP & GC at some company. Not a bad success story.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:37 pm

TBH i'm not sure you'd have the same success doing this with the extreme upper crust firms, but a firm who is looking for an associate with interpersonal skills, a frank attitude and a drive to succeed I don't think there is a better way. Also, I didn't blindly walk in like an idiot. I researched the firm briefly, where they have been, where they are headed, looking to expand (new locations etc) and told them I respected what they have done and would be appreciative to discuss any opportunities that might be available. Also, this sort of attitude seems to work best with lawyers whose partners are in their 50's-70's. Younger attorney from generation x are more skeptical and have a different mindset. Need to know who you are trying to sell to.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:09 pm

This is what folks are saying regarding hustling, and this is exactly how you do it. One of the guys in our law school class near the very bottom landed a firm gig (not a prestigious firm, but what he wanted and needed) this way. Meeting someone face-to-face is a lot easier with smaller firms and lawyers that actually go to court than just e-mailing or mailing your resume without a face.

Grades aren't really going to matter for these sorts of gigs you might get.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm 3L at a T2 school with slightly better than average grades and I have not received an offer of employment. When should I start panicking and does anyone have advice on applying JD advantage jobs?
OP, when you say "T2" do you mean HYS level or do you mean tier 2?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm

JHP wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm 3L at a T2 school with slightly better than average grades and I have not received an offer of employment. When should I start panicking and does anyone have advice on applying JD advantage jobs?

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm

JHP wrote:
In what world does "T2" mean HYS? Is there some secret ultra elite T1 above those that us plebs aren't even allowed to mention?

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:42 pm

MaxMcMann wrote:
JHP wrote:
In what world does "T2" mean HYS? Is there some secret ultra elite T1 above those that us plebs aren't even allowed to mention?
Considering that even the second person on the forum says T25, presumably Top 25 rather than tier 25, and that other people in other forums consistently misuse the "T#" it's not unreasonable to clarify, you pleb.

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm

JHP wrote:
MaxMcMann wrote:
JHP wrote:
Considering that even the second person on the forum says T25, presumably Top 25 rather than tier 25, and that other people in other forums consistently misuse the "T#" it's not unreasonable to clarify, you pleb.
lol I didn't realize that people were insecure enough to differentiate T2 from HYS

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”