Cooley (SF/Palo Alto) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cooley (SF/Palo Alto)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Joining Cooley (Palo Alto/SF) as a Summer Associate in couple of months, and was wondering if there are any current/former associates (or anyone familiar with SF/SV corporate practices) who might be able to give a little insight into how the firm works. I want to do IPO/M&A related work (one of the big things that drew me is that Cooley seems to do a lot of the big-name tech IPOs like Snapchat..etc), and it seems like associates start off in the General Corporate group.

Are work assignments pretty free-market at the firm? Say if I wanted to do more Capital Markets related work or M&A, would I be able to grab work in those areas as it becomes available? How tied to certain partners are you?
One of the things that turned me off of Wilson Sonsini when I was debating which offer to accept was silo-ed nature of the practices and that you're sort of stuck with a couple of partners whether you like it or not.

Any and all input would be appreciated, thanks :D

Anonymous User

Re: Cooley (SF/Palo Alto)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Interested in this as well. Can anyone speak to Cooley’s culture especially in SV? Even any anecdotes would be much appreciated.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in this as well. Can anyone speak to Cooley’s culture especially in SV? Even any anecdotes would be much appreciated.
I have worked pretty closely with them. I think they have a pretty good culture generally. I think they tend to be a tad more social than other area firms. It seems like one of those places where lots of people have work friends that they see outside work. I'd also say they're probably a tad more openly politically liberal than even most Bay Area firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:51 am

Bump-also interested in this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”