If AUSA is goal, what firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If AUSA is goal, what firm

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:09 pm

I have done a few years of big law work and two non feeder clerkships. Goal is major market AUSA (any location though). Have or already had interviews at firms mentioned or their basic equivalent.

What firm would be best - boutique trial shop, with less criminal work (i.e. Wheeler Trigg), newer elite boutique NYC (Selendy Gay), top regional firm in smaller markets with FCA practices (i.e. in Seattle, Nashville, etc.)

I know this is all speculative but really don’t know which would position me best.

girlinthecity

New

Re: If AUSA is goal, what firm

Post by girlinthecity » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:24 pm

Why don't you look on LinkedIn for AUSAs in the office where you want to work and see what their experience is?

For example, I also want to be an AUSA so I looked it up. Turns out where I want to work most of them seem to come from Debevoise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:32 pm

girlinthecity wrote:Why don't you look on LinkedIn for AUSAs in the office where you want to work and see what their experience is?

For example, I also want to be an AUSA so I looked it up. Turns out where I want to work most of them seem to come from Debevoise.
1) debevoise denied me; 2) two of these firms are brand or relatively new with evolving practices and there aren’t going to be AUSAs from those places yet. I’m just looking for some speculative advice since people on this board will at least be familiar with the firms or related ones (Quinn, etc) in ways I am not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:08 am

Why are you going to another firm? Why not just do AUSA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Why are you going to another firm? Why not just do AUSA?
Am trying. Not that easy. Have applied 30 offices. 5 interviews, 2 in major markets, no offer yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Similar scenario, even though no real responses here.

Well-regarded trial boutique with early and often trial experience but in non-criminal, non-enforcement work.

Or biglaw shop doing FCPA, White Collar, etc. but no trial work.

Am post interview with multiple USAOs but no clue what will come of it. One firm has clerkship clawback, one doesnt, fwiw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:36 pm

What am I missing? It seems like going to a shop that has a limited criminal practice would not be as beneficial as others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What am I missing? It seems like going to a shop that has a limited criminal practice would not be as beneficial as others.
Trial work over barely ever standing up. Actual trial experience is the toughest thing to get today and important to being an AUSA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”